1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss changing pump manufactures?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by milwaukeevtwin, Feb 4, 2012.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Well Haldex, Concentric is what it is called now. From what I here they lost the Boss contract and Boss has went to Monarch? Wondering when this change took place, Since my 9.2 is slower then my 8.2? Anybody know for sure?

2. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

How old is ur 8'2"? If it's around 06-08 it's unrestricted (?). The newer ones are because so many ppl complained about them being to fast so Boss restricted the flow which slowed them down way to much IMO.

Carrying a little more weight with a 9'2. Our 9'2's are turds compared to our 8'2"'s. I've got a 2006 8'2" that rocks over any of the newer one's.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Is there anyway to unrestrict the newer ones? My new 9'2vxt is much slower then the '08 7'6v it replaced.

4. milwaukeevtwin

Mine was bought 2 years ago 9.2 last august

5. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I bet that's a good Q for B&B. I have no idea, I just learned about this, this year when I went into the dealer and complained about how slow my 9'2"'s and last years 8'2" are. The dealer wouldn't tell me how to make the newer plows fast like my oldest one. I'm sure it has to do with warranty or something......

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That's unfortunate boss had to put slower pumps in because some people, can't stand the fact they are to fast.

7. timberjack

timberjack Member

I don't think it has anything to do with slower pumps. Frankly, if anything the restrictor plates might even put more of a load on the motor/pump, what with drawing out the cycle time.

Anyhow, it's an easy DIY job.

Under the black plastic motor/pump cowling, just take the solenoid off each of the wing valves. Look for the valve which is vertically below the hose from the wings. Then unscrew the valves themselves for each wing. The metal discs will either fall down on their own, or they might need some prompting with an o-ring/dental pick, etc. Remove them, and replace the valves and solenoids and you're on your way.

Not sure if you'll lose much fluid, i took mine out when i had everything pretty much drained out for a fluid change.

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks! Same disc in the circuit for the lifting of the blade?

9. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Yes, a change was made to the hydraulic power units starting September 2011 with serial number 168000 and above. The testing on the new hydraulic pump indicated faster performance results. Regardless if you had the older or newer hydraulic power unit if you are comparing a 9'2V to 8'2V you will notice a difference in the performance due to the differences in the weights of the two plows. There is nearly a 70 pound difference between the 9'2Power V and the 8'2Power V. Heavier plows will be a bit slower due to the extra weight.

The only restriction in the manifold is an orifice disk place below each wing return valve. This disk is in place to slow the return speed of the wings, and will have no affect on any pressure function (Lift, wing extend, attach or detach).

Thank you for addressing your concerns and if you have additional questions let us know.

10. milwaukeevtwin

Warranty?

So on the Monarch pumps there is no disc for raising speed of the plow? Also if these are removed is the warranty voided?

11. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

There is no restriction (disc) for the raising speed, or any other pressure function. If you wanted to remove the restriction disc from below the wing return valves this will not void any warranty.

12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks for the info Boss!

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Maybe I overlooked it, but why the change? IMO, the pumps were one of the best things Boss had going for them. From my experience, Boss has always been one of the most reliable, and most responsive power units on the market. And I'm not even currently a Boss owner and I'll still say this.

14. milwaukeevtwin

Boss pump.

Well from what I know. Haldex has had alot of change in the last few years. It has not been for the better. Concentric is all about how many they can get out the door these days and there quality controll has went down. Also in the day Boss did this on a hand shake and has always did what they said they were going to do. Concentric wanted a contract and wants to run everything bye the book. They could care less about loosing the business. This is sad! It will bite them in the ass some day. I am not trying to get in the middle here, but Boss is a good plow and they will go where they feel they are getting treated correctly. Just like u and me.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Makes sense

16. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

will the new pumps fit 2011 plows built b4 september?

17. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

The complete power unit (motor, pump & reservoir) is a direct replacement and will fit all RT2 & RT3 plows. The only service parts that are interchangeable are the motor and the reservoir.

The pump block, aluminum adapter, relief valve and intake and return screens are unique to the new system and are not interchangeable.

18. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Monarch pumps in Boss plows now? Sounds like great move to me ... not only just as reliable and at least as strong but quieter too I bet. Can't wait to try one of these new setups ... maybe next year we'll get some snow to compare.