1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss center hinge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by alternative, Feb 10, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

my center hinge wont accept grease through the holes? Should i just spray with white lithium or silicone? what else do you grease and a V Boss

2. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

The holes might have paint in them try cleaning them out . I use a needle point attachment I got from NAPA and just stick it in those holes and pump until I see grease.

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Last fall I released the spring tension on the wings, unbolted the center shoe, and drove the center pin out. That way I could inspect it for any wear, sand any rust off, and clean the holes out in the collars that it slides down into. After cleaning it up I put a pretty good coat of never-sieze on it and drove it back down into position. Problem solved, (I think).

4. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

If the grease holes are plugged with mud or rust a good way to unplug them is to run a drill in them,you can tell when it hits the hinge pin then just back it out,works everytime for me.
    Hyperpack

5. alternative

holes plugged/??? i try with the needle adaptor, just comes out same hole. will try to clean out holes - i guess/?

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Clean, drill them out, hit with an air gun to blow out any other debris, then grease with one of these.

GreaseGun0002.jpg

7. alternative

Does that attcchment just screw on to the grease gun???

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, it does.

Here is a closer look.

[​IMG]

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I got mine at napa,
    here is a pic of it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  10. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of grease are you guys using? Just curious

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I think, the fact that your greasing is more important than what type.

However, the messier and stickier the better.

I've found Amsoil Heavy Duty Synthetic (the black stuff) to be a pretty good all around chassis grease. Nice and thick. Nice and stringy, and doesn't wash away (what is most important in our case). I'm not a huge fan of Amsoil, but finding cases of decent grease at todays auto parts stores is difficult. A case gets me through about a year between cars, trucks, and my mowers.

12. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I used Fluid Film on mine. Pretty much sprayed it on everything that moves on the plow, I'll see how well it does come the end of the season.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Use a grease with molybdenum. The heavy thick gray stuff,
    Avoid using wheel bearing grease as it's to thin, it is washed out easily by the snow.

no, Al-oil :nono:

Personel reasons