1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss BX8 cutting edge and shoes wearing out quickly

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ryde307, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We bought a new BX8 this season. We run it on a 257 Cat skid loader.
    I do not know the exact number of pushes but it has maybe 50 hrs on it. The shoes do not stay in place even after re torquing the bolts a few times. At this point we tack welded them to stay. Also the cutting edge and shoes had to be replaced today. I am very impressed with the plow but wondering if others are having issues with them wearing so quickly.
  2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

what kind of surfaces are you on????
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Down pressure or floating the plow
  4. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Paved parking lots. Decent shape.

Not floating, but try to not run a ton of down pressure either.
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I've had problems with the wings not staying in place either. And it's hard to get down pressure on it level, because of the floating hitch, my s205 just doesnt go down far enough maybe. And with the floating hitch and the shoes acting like skies it rides up more then I like.

I'm actually thinking of either remaking the sideplates to be free floating, or replacing the shoes with Poly and leaving them up an inch from the cutting edge so I can get some DP on it better. Maybe even putting a taller cutting edge on, or figuring out a way to pin the floating hitch solid so when I want to really scrape hardpack with it I can.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm confused, isn't the reason for the floating to prevent DP. Why would you look to defeat this. I havent seen the B8 in person so maybe I'm missing something here.
  7. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We ended up adding material to the bottom of the shoes for now. I have only ran it for maybe 30 min so my explanation of how its ran us somewhat on watchibg and assumptions.
  8. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I have a artic box and a b10 and I will say the artic is a better box the b10 sides being stationary when the box starts to get full it will start riding up on the snow were the artic's wings just ride up I hope that makes sense why he probable wants down pressure
  9. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

sub using a bx 8, first time we these. Hes saying the same thing ,the box wants to ride up when getting full. The skies are making it ride up. Im curious if the bx12 is having any issues , since the sideplates are floating ?
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Sometimes you want the DP to scrape up hardpack. Thats the appeal of the steel edge to me, the ability to scrape hardpack. The floating action of the hitch, and the lifting action of the skis, kinds of negates the benefit of the steel edge, coulda had the same results with rubber.
  11. OsU1997

OsU1997 Junior Member

What is the replacement cost on the side skid shoes? We purchased a BX10 this year and only have about 50 hours on them and need replaced.
  12. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder if this is the reason these are so cheap. My local dealer only wants $2,495.

I didn't price any others out but I think for the BX10 that is really really cheap
    BX8 is $2,295
  13. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I paid less than that for my bx10
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I know all about the Sectional's

The Floating hitch is one of the best parts, it allows the weight of the box scrape while retaining traction. Sounds like the snow is lifing the box, have you tried rolling the curl?

15. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

The price is cheap. I would still buy these over the protechs I think. Easy of operating use is a big thing. They are however smaller than a protech.
  16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Rolling the curl? It floats both up/down and forward/back with the slip hitch. It pretty much does whatever it wants unless you put forward pressure on it. If you roll it back it will pivot up off the ground, on the back of the skid shoes since they are longer then the box / farther back then the cutting edge.

The box is pretty light, and the shoes work like skis, letting it ride up on the snow. No problems in light fluffy snow, but in heavier/deeper snow is where it rides up. The only fixes I see are to make the sides full floating like an Artic, or to pin the slip hitch, or to change the ski's so they don't actually touch. Maybe making the skis thinner might work also, I might use some 1" poly for a trial.
  17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

My b10 has 55 hours on it and shows 0 signs of wear on the cutting edge and shoes, I don't know what you guys are talking about... I think its by far the best bang for the buck pusher on the market and love the floating hitch... Never have problems with it ridding up
  18. schmocks

schmocks Junior Member

I got a bx 8 and a bx12 I got about 150 hours on both no problems with them at all in my option these boxes are the best scraping boxes on the market
  19. komplete

komplete Junior Member

We have a B10 on our 257b3 and overall it has been great. Only issue seems to be the bottom bolt that attaches the skid shoe to the wing likes to break off?? Usually a symptom of being slammed down but that isnt the issue. Other than that we haven't had issues with the shoes wearing fast or riding up.