1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss and others Emergency kit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I'd like to put a kit together for an 8'2 Boss V plow. I know you can buy one but I'd like to make my own complete with tools.. I also have no use for the shoe parts that come with the kit. :rolleyes:

Not sure what breaks most so to be sure to get everything and not forget any small item, I'd like to hear some suggestions from the Boss owners.

I suppose we can add other plows to the discusion also.

First off, do we really need the Boss brand Hydrolic fluid or is there an alternative?
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

not familiar with the boss plows, but for my western's i have spare hoses, hitch pins, cable's, pumps, seal kits, solenoids, pistons, trip springs, nuts & bolts. almost everthing to rebuild a plow. most of the stuff stays back at the shop, and some stays in the truck.
  3. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

LOL - so what's really left back at the shop? A moldboard? A headlight assy'?:)
  4. paul soccodato

i only keep small stuff with me when i plow, atf fluid, a spare hose, nuts and bolts, trip spring w/eye bolt. all the hardware stays at the shop, pump's, piston's, etc... . i am a maitinence fanataic, so when i have time, or after a snow, i check the entire plow, the truck, the salter, everthing. if i dont like it i change it. i also have a spare truck w/ plow if i need it. you get a good snowstorm and you cant service your clients because of a plow/truck breakdown, your outta buisiness.

ps no extra moldboard though, got a millermatic 250 amp mig, and plenty of steel to put anything back together!
  5. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

check out the "known problems w/ boss" thread. i'm buying a boss and only seem to have good reviews with only minor problems that are easy to fix. The place that i'm buying my plow from has been a dealer for boss for nine years and he still has the same parts on the shelf from when boss made him stock them then, except for about a dozen hoses and dozen solenoids. Last year they sold over 70 plows, so after about 600 plows sold and only a coupe dozen parts sold, i'd say they're a heavy duty plow. I hope that gives you some confidence in your plow.
  6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I have confidence... Just dont want to drag it all the way home just in case.
  7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Years ago when I bought my 1st Western. I paid
    the extra 50 bucks for the case with spares.
    No idea what one costs now. But it did SAVE
    my butt many times as I live in the sticks and
    can't drive 20 plus miles for a spare hose, fitting
  8. winter services

winter services Junior Member
    from NY

don't forget the duct tape,it works real well on alot of things

Winter Services
  9. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

i carry extra spring, hose, batt cable, hose, solenoid, hitch pins, bulbs, fuses, TOOLS, a flashlight, penatrating oil, tow chain, wire, duct tape, cell phone, a jack that i can use to lift the plow incase of such a tragedy and other misc stuff that might just come in handy, and all this stuff adds to your ballast:)
  10. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

After plowing with mine for the past few years, I've narrowed the extra parts to a center hoof ( lot looks like crap with out it ) and 1 qt. plow fluid, thats it. The hydraulic hoses are heavy enough that I check them prior to going out and during the season, just make sure everything is good and tight the way it should be and off we go. Make sure to put lots of dielectric grease on your connections to keep moisture out.

11. fiftycav

fiftycav Junior Member

Once again this seems like a good thread to ask some of you guys a few questions about maintainence and repair. It seems like these topics are really beaten to death here on plow site. I have only owned a plow for a year and I am wondering how tempramental are these things any way? I have changed mu fluid once or twice but thats about as experienced as I am with these things. Now I am hoping I did it correctly because I don't want to be stuck. It works great but the way some of these guys talk, thier plows breakdown more often then they actually work.
  12. paul soccodato

most of the plows out thier are reliable units. take care of it by,washing it , changing the fluid, and basic maitinence(read the owners manual). ive had plows 10-15 years old with no problems.