1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 9' Straight or Western 7'6" Pro Straight on 3500

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gpshemi, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Found two I'm interested in for my 06 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD.

- 2009 Boss 9' Super Duty
    - Western Pro 7'6" Uni that's been blasted and redone & I could add wings to.

Which would be better for doing my families drive ways?

Both are $1500 and look to be in GREAT shape. Especially the Boss which is basically new.

Looking to buy one this weekend.

2. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Guess I should mention I also found a 2009 7'6" Boss Poly that's $2500 too. I'm attracted to the lower price of the others though since it appears I'll have $1000 in the truck side stuff.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You'll actually need that 9' to cover the width of the dual rear wheels. I find my 10' too narrow at times when turning, even with my SRW.

4. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

It's an SRW actually.

My buddy has a smaller plow and said the 9' will have to be turned all the time going down the road, and it makes the truck pull. This is my first plow, so I have no idea really.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I suppose he's technically correct. The 9' (108") plow is overwidth. I travel with my blade straight, sometimes angled depending on the situation; then again it does retract to 8' for travel. It does push the truck a bit due to the air pressure, but the extra width is worth it.

6. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Well since I'm just doing family across town, and it has the RT3, I envision dropping it except to plow.
    ...or is that wishful thinking and I'm not going to want to screw with it all the time?

Obviously a newbie here right? LOL

The 9' is going to be like new it sounds like. $1500 for the plow and less then $950 in truck side puts me under $2500. Seems like a pretty good deal for practically all new. Ya think?

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think that's a good price range, being that it is like-new.

I try to wash everything and drop the plow/spreader after a storm. Just that much less wear and tear on the truck.

8. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Story goes he bought it new in 09, hooked it up plowed some, truck caught fire & burned to the ground after the local shop worked on it. Lost everything but the plow. LOL...bummer really. He seems like a decent guy really. It was a long story and too long to make up. Haven't seen it yet, but I gotta think it's basically new.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you plan to remove and install it regularly since you're only doing a couple personal drives per event.....you don't want the Unimount.

10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Jonny's right. If your'e going to just screw around with a coupla' pushes every now and then, get the 7' 6" unit.

If amatuer hour is over and someday you envision yourself becoming a serious contractor, get the 9 footer....

...AND THE WINGS.

It pushes going down the road?

SO!!

Always get the biggest blade the power unit will handle. Time is money.

And stop listening to your buddy. He shoudn't be driving that fast transporting a plow anyway.

11. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

ah. That's good to know too. That's what my buddy has and he drops his regularly. I figured it wasn't that much work. Hmmm, I hate hooking up my 3pnt stuff. The RT3 video's seemed pretty easy. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll post pics if I get her.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I had a Unimount for 9 years. They aren't as bad as folks make them out to be as far as hooking/unhooking. My uncle still runs one, hooks it up in maybe 2 minutes.

13. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Hi guys, I thought I would add my opinion. Either are good plows. I,ve plowed commercial with both. But I've had a few things with the uni-mount,where as the boss, I've had none. Other than the obvious wear and tear issues. And for the money being so close the RT3 is the way to go.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure with a pry bar, hammer, and perfect alignment. I have one Uni left and leave it on from Oct to May and don't pull them off a customers truck unless I absolutely have to. Newer (much easier) mounting designs just have a way of spoiling you. Thumbs Up

15. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

oh boy...the newbie started a brand war. Sorry about that. I'm sure they'd both fit the bill fine. I tend to buy the higher end stuff the first time around though and save money in the long run by not trading in and stepping up with things. So I'm just trying to make sure I get the right thing.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not at all, we're just enjoying ourselves.

If you like to spend the money at purchase time to avoid having to upgrade later why are you even considering the Uni? They've been out of production for years and you'll have a tough time even find a mount for your truck so you'd likely end up having to purchase an Ultra truck mount and then have to run an Ultra to Uni conversion bracket. Then, all the Uni's wiring should be upgraded to be compatible with your late model truck which means replacing virtually all of it's wiring to upgrade to the current 3 plug Isolation system..all while adding a great deal of extra expense and fueling an issue you're looking to avoid in the first place...which of course is having to upgrade. With the Uni you'll have to do it now.

The Boss would be plug and play with the correct (and still current generation) mount and wiring, therefore would be fully compatible to your truck with nothing more than a set of headlamp adapters that are almost always required on any truck install. No mounting adapters, no $500 wiring upgrades and no dated equipment.

Or, if the Boss's width scares you simply search for a different one or a used 3 plug Ultramount if you want a Western. At least then you'll have the current design.

There's often far more to consider when purchasing used other than simply the size or color of the plow. Especially as a newbie. :salute:

17. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I love both Western and Boss, having said that the Western stays on all season and the Boss will go on and off all the time as it is SO simple\fast!

For the money the Boss is the way to go, hands down, if it was a newer Western that was wider it might go the other way, 7.6 is to narrow even if your truck was a single rear wheel which it could be (you should tell us) if it is a dually you MUST go 9ft to cover your width.

Keep the blade off if you are not pushing, no reason to drive around with it on!

18. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

ok Good! :gunsfiring:

I never said I "liked" spending money at purchase time. Haha...

That's EXACTLY the answer I needed though. I don't want to have to upgrade something later on. It's a waste of time, effort, and money. Thank you. I was leaning towards the Boss anyway, but that just makes it a done deal really. Thumbs Up

I did in post #4. It's a SRW not a DRW.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  19. gpshemi

gpshemi Member

Ok. Bought the 9'. It's in super great shape. He wasn't kidding when he said it had like a dozen driveways on it. It's nearly new really. Bought everything for truck side.

Dealer wants $600 for the install. Sounds high to me. No?

20. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Thats about what I had into it for a dealer to install. I had the dealer do my first install but for 600 bucks I'll try it myself. And guess what it wasn't that difficult. Just make sure you've got the proper hardware kit,headlight adapters for your make/ model , and a buddy,because it will take two people to hold and mount the under carriage,ahead of the install.And if you have any questions just ask B&B.Lol :mechanic: