1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 9.2 cutting edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Witcher, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problems we have had with the V plows. The Boss Vs dont trip very well or not at all when hitting a manhole or curb. We have broken 3 cutting edges in 5 years of use. Usually right in the center. Takes a chunk right out from center to the first mounting bolt. Im putting on the polly cutting edges this year to try and save the plow and truck from further damage.
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I haven't heard of the edge itself breaking. The new trip edges seem to work pretty well from what I've heard. :waving:
  3. C & D

C & D Junior Member

My Plow has done the exact same thing, just got the cutting edge replaced. I tried loosening the spring tension a bit but that did'nt help. Have you bent a wing yet, I caught a manhole cover on the far left corner of the plow, it did'nt trip at all. Just bent the wing. Can't say that I am impressed with the engineering in this plow, I would expect a plow that is built this heavy to stand up much better.
  4. trying to make

trying to make Member

one of my good friends broke 3 cutting edges on his boss v plow. in 2 weeks all 3 broke on the right blade on the inside of the v.this was about 2 or 3 years ago.Boss replaced the blades for free.and since they all broke at the same spot Boss asked for the broken blades to be sent back to see what was causeing the problem.But they never informed us with there test results.
  5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah, it don't like to trip at all. Big design flaw. My next plow is a Fisher, and I will make the drive to buy one.

Put a U edge on it.
  6. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Glad to see I'm not alone. Broke one on the inside too. I was actually able to find the pieces and almost welded them back but figured I might run over them if they broke again and cut a tire. Boss needs to go to a trip-edge, but don't know what they would do about the center shoe trip. Maybe still have the moldboard trip (would probably be heavy though). Good idea on the poly cutting edges, never thought of that.
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not really, the energy on impact has to go somewhere and either the plow breaks or the object does that it hit as regular Vee plows do not trip well at all. A trip edge design is the only way to got with a Vee. I have a few trip edged straight blade Fishers and more plow makers now are starting to come out with their own spin on it whicjh is kind funny being that Fisher invented it over 40 years ago and got slammed for it until recently when others started to bring out their own designs. Fisher has it on all models except home steader, Western on their Vee, Diamond has it on a few as does Curtis and Boss has it on a few straight edge models but not Vee.
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You have to know your terrain when plowing with a BOSS V.

Once you learn to respect it, it rewards you well.

I too broke a cutting edge in the center on my older 8.2 V.

I will be switching to Urethane. Wanna get the kinks worked out on the new one first.

BOSS V's are NOT meant for plowing where the terrain under the snow is unknown.
  9. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

v-plows arent as durable as a striaght blade and you kind of have to baby them...

it would be like taking a sports car offroading...the v-plow is made for more technical jobs where there are alot of obsticals like cars, parking blocks, and percision pushing....and straight blades are more for the wide open lots and easy stuff.....not to say that either one cant serve both purposes but one is just more suited for the job then thee other...

wiith any plow i run with i and all of my guys are allways awair of the obsticals like high seams, man holes, pot holes.....this is how you tear up plows, trucks, and guys......i guess im kinda a nut when it comes to my equipment.
  10. Runner

Runner Senior Member

All I can say is make sure your drivers are wearing their seatbelts. With the Boss plows, we've had more injuries than with any straight blade (0). We've had bumps on the head and stitches from the windshields, and we've had bruised ribs from the steering wheel. This is not to mention countless truck repairs that have had to do (frame repair, light replacement, etc.). We have also had property damage done that was probably related to the rigid V blades. Last year, we replaced a filling cap at a local gas station. You have any idea what one of these things cost? They are stupidly priced. Now, I can go out and plow with a V all night long and not have any trouble. But, as soon as you put these rocket scientists behind the wheel, it's a whole different thing. Many of them want to be Mr. Joe Plow-efficient and think that they are racer X. This is when the damage occurs.
    So, without a doubt, the trip edge is the ONLY way to go with a V. Even if you ARE slow and careful, it is STILL much less wear and tear on the truck AND on the driver. If I was going to buy a new V tomorrow, it would be the Western over the Boss.
  11. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Those of you with broken edges are lucky. I just noticed the other day when I was replacing the "hoof" that my left wing is bent at the bottom inside. bent the edge and the bottom corner of the board back. Not only that, but the bottom band that wraps around the hinge for the left wing is broken in two. At least an edge is an easy fix, expensive, but easy. The bolts that hold the catcher on snapped off also.
    Anyone want a V plow :mad:
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My Boss is a '97, and it's had two broken cutting edges--one by me and one by a friend. BOTH were due to driver error and nothing more.

People, remember that the trip is made to save you if you screw up and hit something, NOT to allow you to blanketly run over everything in sight (or rather, not is sight)!!! You need to know your parking lots and this will almost never happen.

So how did I screw up? Manager of a certain Sunoco/Winks station in NF had taken to coming out and 'staring' at me while working. Gets a little unnerving after a while because he wants to instruct me constantly how to do it etc, not to mention almost backed over him one night because he decided to bend down and shovel around the filler holes directly behind me. Only saw a glimpse of his flourescent orange gloves in the mirror and hit the brakes.

I caught the edge of concrete where the gutter ends and the property's curb begins (about a 1.5" step) when I should have been more careful but was distracted by this guy waving his arms so I would do something else for him. :rolleyes:

Would a tripedge have prevented it? Probably. Is a tripedge a cure-all? No. Any bigger screwups (like curbs etc.) would totally destroy the blade.

Why cant they make a trip edge AND a full trip on the same blade?
    Should be easy enough to do, extra cost of course, but a few $100 cutting edges would probably pay for the option...

I so wanna try to build my own plow one of these years...

Moral of the Story: If we don't screw up, we don't break parts! ;)
  13. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The whole purpose of the the plow "tripping" to to soften and redirect impact energy when you hit a obstacle. When you are breaking shears or knocking heads or bending frames, the trip is not working correctly and it is a poor design overall. As far as a Vee plow being more precision as one poster said I question that because a precision plow is more predictable on impact than a full trip Vee plow which trips poorly at best. With a trip edge, straight or Vee you can work with a higher degree of confidance because they are a lot more predictable on impact with a unknown object. It is easy to "feel" the trip edge when you need to at times too.