1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8'2" v plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MikesLawns, Nov 13, 2008.

1. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

New to this forumn. Just bought 08 Chey 2500 HD crew cab gas and I'm looking at the 8' 2" v plow. Do you like these ? I've had fisher all my life, but I was told the boss is litter and better then the fisher v plow. Any info would help.
    Thanks

2. azandy

azandy Member

I don't like to advertise or promote a product but we have several Boss 8'2" plows. They really work nice. Knock on wood, we don't have any problems. We started switching from Western plows about 8 years ago. Replaced the last one this year. Still have one Hiniker left. I think the new Western plows look nice but it's a pain to keep all extra parts for different plows. The oldest Boss plow we have uses most of the same parts as the new ones. "Hoses, controllers,oil,etc." Don't forget to make sure your truck can handle what ever plow you pick before you buy it. Learned a tough lesson this year.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss V plows are good. If you want beef up the front a little and run the 9.2 v plows.

4. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Hey thanks for the input. I need a v plow and the boss is 100 lbs lighter then the fisher. My dealer told me with the lock cylinders $5500 installed. Imight buy a sander and he will do better he said.

5. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I ran my 8.2 V for three yrs with zero problems, and it had a lot of commercial use. This yr I just bought a new 9.2 V XT. Good luck you will really like that plow!

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Boss is a great blade.... What kind of lots are you plowing?

7. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

Mostly parking lots and some nice private road with new asphalt. The only thing I don't like is the trip edge only works in the straight postion. Did you have any other suggestions ? I'm getting the lock cylinders for back blading.
    Thanks

8. azandy

azandy Member

The Boss plows go back to straight before they trip. If you have it in scoop mode, the cylinders will release and allow the wing to retract before it trips. Usually this is enough time to at least slow down if not stop. For sure on the lock cylinders if you are going to do back dragging. makes it a lot easier and you can drag back a ton of snow.

9. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

I just got back from the Fisher dealer and he will do the same price. He said the fisher will trip in any postion, the boss only in straight mode and he saw many boss cutting edge break. Plus he said you don't have the big front plate on the truck like the boss has. Fisher ears are clean looking. I've alaways had fishers, but the boss seems nice also. Just don't want to spend $5500 and not be happy.

10. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I'd go witht the Boss. With that being said, you can break a cutting edge on a fisher just as easy as the boss. I think the mounting system on the boss is much easier, hands down, than the fisher. I don't like the chain lift on the fisher either. Both are good plows, I would just prefer the boss, having run both a boss and fisher. What is the price difference??

11. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have 2 boss plows right now, and have had western and the boss is much quicker, and has held up well (no problems even after hitting a few big things. what happens is the pressure release allow the wings to fold back to where they will trip. I wouldn't worry about being happy its a solid product, but in the end you have to go where your comfortable.

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

For the type of work your doing I'd take a good look at Blizzard, and/or the new snowway plows. Both will move alot more snow then a v blade.

13. MikesLawns

MikesLawns Member

I have a few long driveways where I've kicked sideways with my dump truck. We tend to get some crusty ice snow mix here in CT. I can get either plow for $5500 installed plus tax. It's all the same Chevy, Ford, Dodge. They all have good points and bad points. I've always had fishers for 21 yrs and I'm starting to see more boss's on chevy trucks now. I don't plow hard and have had the same lots etc for many years. I picked up a few new lots with loading docks and I thought the V plow would save time with the scoop etc. I guess I've heard more negative on the boss then the fisher. Thanks for all your input. I'll decide this week.

14. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Not saying this is true, but the more of a product on the market the more people there are to say they dont like it. And if your pushing side to side in your dump than go for a V. That used to be my issue on a few long ones that I do. They dont have to be plowed out right away so i do them last. And it makes it hard. But no longer have that issue with the v plow.