1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8'2" v hydralics

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by turbo5560, Nov 8, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so i got my new plow and it was filled up partly, but not completely so i was told to add some fluid. According to the owners manual when in the straight position you should just be able to see fluid in the little hole that you pour the fluid into. But the problem i am having is it keeping pouring back out the top of the resevoir after you put it into the scoop postion then back in to the vee and then on to the ground.
    So my question is... is this a big deal? I haven't used the plow yet cause it's brand new so i figure that after i get to using it any extra fluid will just drain out the cap and then i should be good right?

2. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

What I do to check fluid is have the blade raised and the wings in. Then you can see the fluid in the fill tube and it wont overflow. Run the blade thru a couple cycles and check again. To really tell if the blade is low is put the plow into scoop and raise and lower the blade, if it shutters/spirts then its low.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Always have your plow on the ground when checking the fluid level.

Some fluid will come out of the vent in the cap when they are over filled.
    No big deal just a little mess

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

turbo, I'm not sure where you read that it should be filled in the straight position but it actually has to be filled in the V position with the plow on the truck, and on the ground if it's an RT2. An RT3 doesn't have to be on the ground to check the fluid level as they use a double acting lift cylinder so the system volume never changes no matter where the lift cylinder is in it's travel. When you fill it in any position other than in the V position and you retract the wings, where's the fluid gonna go thats in the wing cylinders?...back to the reservoir of course...which will make it waaay over full. Top it off in the V position and you'll be fine.

5. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

no, sorry a misunderstanding... if you look in the owners manual it says to check the fluid level in the straight position. Not add in the straight position. I did fill it in the v position, and ran it through several motions and it kept spilling out of the cap.
    But is this something to worry about or not?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You only want the fluid level to be 3/4" up to the vent hole..if its any fuller than that it will overflow..

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

B&B,
    You know better than that:dizzy:
    To tell someone it does not matter if it is in the air.
    Working on ANY piece of equipment with an attachment in the air is asking for trouble.
    What if he or someone does something to cause the plow to fall?
    Oops no more toes.......

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Believe me, I do..

Maybe I should have added a little more to that SF so it wouldn't be mis-taken.... I was describing to turbo the difference between a single acting cylinder and a double acting one, and how a double acting cylinder barely change's the fluid capacity of the system like a single acting one will (like a Boss wing cylinder for example), so he could see why a Boss V should be checked in the V position, since in the V position the fluid capacity of the system is the smallest.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I know, But I would hate to see someone crush a foot:cry:

You are right about the double acting rams. They hold the same volume of fluid in any position.

Now if they were you rtII or single acting ram like the wings back will put more fluid in the resivor.
    Just like if you have the older single acting lift rams they will hold more in the raised position and less lowered.

turbo5560,
    I 'm not sure wich manual you ave (is it for a V or just a generic )
    but if you fill the reservoir with it straight and then you retract the rams (Wings) you will have a over full condition resulting in fluid coming out of the vent just as you do.
    Not a real problem just a mess.
    You could drain a little out just make sure you have some to fill it back up with

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

10-4 on that one SF...I always make a habit of placing a jack stand under the center of the plow if it needs to be in the air for diagnose reasons or if it's stuck in the up position...I hope everyone else thinks to do it too..