1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8'2" Power V Prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jdjoe_97, Nov 7, 2001.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Hey guys. I know your thinking wait weren't you just pricing a Western. Ya I was. I just spent half an hour on the phone pricing Boss plows locally. I have found that the market is pretty slopping in snow plows

The prices are for a 8'2" Plow range from $3730 - $4164 Carry out. Then from 4095 - 4684 installed. Get this the cheapest carry out price is still neg.!!!! All these prices include the deflector and Smarttouch control.

I have one other question for you Boss V plow operators is it worth it to get the Locking cylinders??? I only had one place price them to me and they were a $250 option. Thanks so much for any help. Joe

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

All your prices seem really high. Maybe it is your area but we get them cheaper here.

3. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Ya I guess we must be high priced. I did price out Central Supply, ends up there higher than my local guy by $200. And get this, it is actually cheaper to have them ship it to me then for me to pick it up. I have to pay sales tax with Central Supply if I pick it up and thats $80 more than shipping. Crazy.

I think I am going for the Boss with touchpad and locking cylinders.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is the one perk of mail order that was avoided in a previous post. Of course you can also go to places that do not have sales tax. I have made a few trips to New Hampshire to avoid tax on big items. I guess that would be kind of far for you though.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

I priced out the Boss V and the Westrn V and both were close,

I think the Boss V was $4200 installed and the Western V was $4500. installed.....

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I just bought a new Boss 9'2" V yesterday,I think I got a great deal.I paid 3596.42,+tax.I am installing it myself to save 300 bucks,and so I know its right,and how to work on it in the future.I neverseize everything too,so everything comes apart in 2 years when you need to change something. I mounted the truck side frame and assembled the plow today,I wiring the truck tomorrow morning,hopefully Ill have it running by afternoon.I got mine from Trailer King in poughkeepsie,they were at the BBQ at JP's place.They had the best prices,and extememly helpfeul,friendly staff.They gave me a price of 3400 ish for the 8'2" V.My friend is getting a Boss on his 2001 Duramax from them too,so I might have gotten better prices for buying 2 units.

7. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

John, just curious is that plow recomended for your truck? You have the diesel, correct?

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

I payed $3565.00 for my 8'2" BOSS V. That was with the SmartLock cylinders and the SmartTouch control. I installed it myself also.

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

John D

The price I got on the Boss was from Trailer king.. The $4200 for the 8.5 Boss V Installed.. ??????

10. John DiMartino

JD,by the book,no it isnt,but Boss dealer says to run 300 lbs ballast,(my spreader wieghs 450 empty,and ill be fine.The front end is the same as the 3500,except for the offset dually wheels/spacers.I ordered the 047/046 springs from my dealer on monday,with those it shouldnt sag to bad.I was going to get the 8'6" western V,which is 880 lbs,or the 82' poly Boss which is about 900 lbs.The 9'2" Boos is 928 lbs,so its only 40 lbs heavier than the 8'6" western,Im not woored about that much,especiall with the Dana 60,its a beefy front end.Ive put a HD track bar on it,just in case.

11. John DiMartino

My buddy was going to get an 8'2"V for his truck,so we priced it out.The plow as 3400 ish,Im not sure exactly how much,the quote is at work.The labor was 295,and tax,it came to 4017 or something,but that was with out smartlock cylinders,and buying 2 units.

12. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Price

Hey guys I called the cheapest quote back yesterday. They came down a little. Now for a 8' 2" V with smartlock, touchpad, and deflector is down to $3620 plus tax. This is carry out and me installing it. I wish I could find a place cheaper around here. I did findout we have a new Western dealer in the area. He quoted me a price yesterday for a 8 1/2 MVP Installed, including tax of 3505.

Now I don't know which way to go. I like the trip edge design of the western but I guess I have my heart set on the boss. What do you guys think. Should I go with the Western or spend another $120 and install a Boss myself? Thanks Joe

13. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I'd buy the Western. I own some Westerns, one of which is an MVP I am quite happy with. If you figure all the baloney that could happen when the snow is flying, I'd want a dealer installed plow.

The trip edge is a logical, useful design for a V plow. IMO there is nothing about either plow that would make it worth paying more than the other.

If the Western Dealer is helpful, give them a try. Explain to them that you are a "one man band" and cannot afford to leave anything to chance regarding the install; see what his/her reply is. Either plow is known to be excellent, so deciding which shade of red you like better is up to you.
    :D

P.S. That is a good deal on the Western! I got mine for $3550 plus tax installation included. I got a good deal and you are being offered slightly better.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2001
  14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If at all possible, whatever the plow, install it yourself!!! I cant stress this more. When it breaks, and it will, you know how to go about repairing it. My boss only needed 2 small welds, that I took to a shop to have done. Also, have a helper available, they V's can get real heavy moving around and lining up by yourself.

15. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Member

Well I think I am going to call the Western guy on Monday and see how much he is charging for install. If its a few hundred dollars then I will buy it and install it myself. If its not very much I will probably opt for the boss. Thanks Joe

16. John DiMartino

jdJoe,I think you got a great price on the Boss,the deflector is 200,the smartlocks,they wanted 230 for the upgrade,so they gave you a good deal IMO.If the western is the same price,it makes the decision even harder.

17. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I know this isn't the popular opinion here, but I would have it installed. My free time is hard to come by this time of year, and very valuable. I dont install them for a living like those guys do, and I am sure they could do a better job. If some of these people have had poor installations, they should have never driven away from the installers shop untill it was up to their expectations. I beleive in accountability from them as much as my customers do from me. MAKE them do it right!

Now to your decision- I love my Boss, but even I would be tempted to get the Western at that price. You wont regret either one.

My next one will be a Western, just for this reason, to compare for myself.

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What happens when Leroy the installation tech drills a 7/8" hole through the dashboard on your brand new $40,000 truck. "Huh? Thats where all the municipalities trucks want it, why not You?"

I've seen way to many hack jobs on "installs" by plow shops. Maybe some are good and take their time, but not the ones I'm familiar with. For them time is money and for $300 thats only about 4 hrs shop labor. Cant be done nice on any plow in 4 hrs. IMHO. Plus the knowledge of learning everything about your plow saves you money later on when something goes wrong, and it only takes you 2 min to diagnose it because you know exactly what could have broke.

19. John DiMartino

Tom,you said it best,and I love how they hack anything in there way,like the lower valences,instead of unbolting it,and throwing it in the bed of the truck,a few bolts,they take a reciprocating saw to it,and cut it all up,it looks real bad then with a huge hunk missing out of it.I used a ton of anti-seize on mine,I didnt see any on the ones they put together,who will be able to get the bolts out on 2 yrs?,not the ones they put together,because they dont care.I do,mine will come right apart if needed.For someone who cant or is too busy,to install it,get it done,but I like to know how it goes together,and do it they way I want to,this way I have no one to blame but myself if it breaks.

20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Most of the mechanics make like 12-15 an hour. To me my own trucks are worth more then that. I worked at a shop for a while as well as at garages. I feel that by doing the install I know the plow and the truck and where everything is.

I don't like holes drilled is wire harnesses lying out. Most installers schedule a limited time for an install and while there should be accountabilty it also comes down to time there. If you are going to stande there and inspect the process why not just do it right the first time and do it yourself.

Obviously I understand that not everyone has the tools, shop and ability in time and knowledge to do an install. Maybe for the average guy a shop is ok. I just think if you are in the business everything you can do gives you better knowledge if you need a repair done.

Beyond this I cannot stand other people working on my trucks!!!