1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8'2" or 9'2" on a 2014 Ford F-250

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oarwhat, Sep 4, 2014.

1. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

We just bought a new pickup and want to know what most guys are using? We always used the 8'2". Are the 9'2"'s a pain for driving down the road? Just seems like they stick out to far. Thanks

2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Go with the 9.2 my first vplow was a 8.2 then I got a 9.2 for my other truck and now i only run the 9.2 I ended up putting wings on the 8.2. I will never buy a 8.2 again.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I ran a 11'6 Vee plow last year on my SD last season. Didn't have to many problems

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I hated my 8'2 v plow. 9'2 was better but u like my 10 foot xls even more=) don't get the 8'2

5. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the 9.2" for sure. I have no problems driving on the roads with it. The bigger plow the better - imo.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the 9.2

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Bigger is better, and to that end, consider a 9'6" Western MVP-3 or 9'6" Fisher XV-2.
    I have no issues with my current 9'6" XV-1.
    If you will only buy a Boss, then get the big one, absolutely.

8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

What about weight?? What springs are on the f250??

I'm looking at a new 250 or 350 gas motor, cant decide due to it having a plow and V-box

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

With plow prep, should be 5900 or 6K

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

My F250 handles the 9'6" XV-1 easily. 10,000 lb gvw package. But don't bother with the F250. Get the F350. Same exact truck but according to Ford, it has a payload rating of 4,930 lbs...my F250 has a payload of 3200 when you weigh it and subtract that from the GVW. With me, the truck side plow stuff, and half a tank of gas, it weighs 6,800 lbs. Ford says it has a payload of 3,780 lbs....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go for the 9.2, it will hold it not like Dodge.:)

12. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

I'm happy with my 8'2"s performance last season. It all depends on what work you are contracted to complete. I do mainly small lots but if you're doing large parking lots, large developments, etc. Then you would probably be better off with the large plow.

I just bought a 2009 GMC 2500 ext that I will be buying a plow for as well this season. Most likely a new 8'2" but I did see a one year old 9'2" I may give a try only because it was bought at the end of the season.

Michael

13. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

dont get the 9'2, you will then want to sell the 8 footer to replace it with the 9

14. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

Ok guys thanks for the comments looks like we'll get a 9'2"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

General Welding if your asking.

16. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

What do you guys recommend to someone that is trying to decide between 8'2 and 9'2 if they have a situation like mine where the garage door is only wide enough to fit the 8'2. Do I go with 8'2 with wings or 9'2 and figure out a way to get it in garage ? The garage door opening is 95"

17. Buswell Forest

from NH

Boss says a 9'2" Power V XT is 92" in full scoop. Drive it in with it in scoop, retract to V after getting in so you have more room- if you need it.

18. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Make sure you physically measure the plow. The cutting edge is the widest part.

Michael

19. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'd go with wings, since you can remove them when you want. Wings also help scoop the snow a bit better than just a wider plow since they angle forward a bit (at least my Western wings do)

20. bigkid

bigkid Member
    from Gap, Pa

I would say that because the cutting edge has the built in curb guards you have to account for an extra 2-3 inches in width on each end. I could be wrong so if anyone knows for sure please chime in.