1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss 8' straight blade only goes up one in a while

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by brickslayer, Dec 13, 2010.

1. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

where do I start? Just bought a used plow and worked great till all of a sudden I couldnt raise it. After about 20-50 clicks on the handheld it finally went up. Finished my day with it doing that the whole time. I change the fluid which still looked good. The relay is clicking lights are dimming and the motor is running but only action every so often. angle works fine. When it does go up it seems as fast as it shold be. Stumped. And unfortunitly I have very little experence with working on plows cause I've had a hand full of boss plows over the years and NEVER had to do anything to them! The plow is a few years old with the smarthitch2 and newer style lights. Any ideas where to start would be great! Not looking forward to plowing the city streets anymore!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

intermitent lift

i am far from a expert but today i had a not lift or angle situation on my 7'6"sd today and it came down to a loose ground for the solenoid .i think you should check the ground's on the lift valve coil ,better check all the ground's .and clean the power and control harness plug .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have a poor connection somewhere (anywhere) between the controller and the lift coil on the white wire. Either at the controller plug or the bumper plug most likely.

Need to do some pin checking and cleaning.

4. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

I'm really leaning to something else fluid related. Not saying I won't check the connectors but the motor spins just fine n it really seems like some valves aren't opening up. If that was the case where do I start.

5. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Does this plow operate by the motor spinning at any action and then coils are what activates which valves open. Told ya I know nothing about plows. All I ever had to do is try to keep it looking good!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which is why I stated to check connections on the white wire. The motor can run and the pump can pump fluid all it want's but if the lift valve isn't open because it's not receiving it's trigger power via the white wire it won't lift.

7. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

K so I cleaned n regrease bumper plugs. Controller plug is mint as I don't think I ever even disconnected it before now. Same problem. What's the "white wire" you are referring to? And what am I supposed to check with it? BTW thanks for helping the handicapped!

8. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Went on boss site and I now see the relevance of the white wire. I will totally make sure that is a crisp connection and try it again. If that doesn't solve it what am I looking for next?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A poor ground connection at the same coil the white wire is on or a defective controller. Not too often a Boss has an actual valve issue, it normally a weak connection or dying controller.