1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8.5 v with wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Mac, Feb 5, 2005.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I have been reading post on this site that say wings are not useful on v plows. I installed these on my Boss 8.2 v and they make sense to me.
    The plow is 10.2' with an added 50 lbs to the plow. No extra lbs problem.
    In the scoop positions they add 2' to the width of the plow. The angle of the wings is about 20 degrees forward and helps pull snow into "v" 2' wider swath with less trail off. The other positions are just the same a straight blade. "All good" the the extra 2' with out the weight and cost of the 10' v is great. Bigger is better! Any comments appreciated.
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I did this 3 years ago with a 9' 2" Boss Vee.

I got whipped on pretty good by a lot of the Blizzard guys.

Run. Save yourself. :D
  3. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

How do you keep the tips of the plow wings from dragging or hitting the road when you are driving? I have to kick the wings out on my Boss 8'2" or they will hit after a dip in the road.
  4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Hey redhenny

I put hunks of urethane on my Wings. I dont care if they scrape a bit over a dip or two. Urethane wears unusally well.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Hey Pro

Where did you get your urethane for the pro wings and how thick is a piece?

6. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Hey Pro seasons
    How do you like your back plow, and how wide is it? Looks like a nice setup. I'm working on a new mount for mine, I haven't used it on my 02 2500HD yet but I used it for four seasons on another truck. I really miss it and hope to get it on and pulling snow soon.
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The only problem with the pro wings on any plow is they are always in the forward position. Which is a problem when windrowing because the snow wont roll off the trailing side of the blade.
  8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Can we get some pics?
  9. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

How do you mount pro wings to a Boss V? I have a set of wings on a straight blade and like the idea of putting some on my Boss 8'2" V but see a problem. It seems that the piece that goes through the moldboard and gets pinned on the back side of the plow is not long enough to go all the way through the boxed section on the back of the plow. How do you get around this?
    Are there any other wings that would work on a V plow?
  10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Mow me over,

Get yourself a coupla' hunks 14" tall and two inches thick. Long as you want. Make 'em an inch or so out past the end of your wings for a bit of curb protection. Got mine from a guy in Dayton, Ohio. Bartman, Barley, something like that. Delivered by common carrier. Driver said " Ive been DYING to find out what this was!" Came 12 feet long. Took two of us to drag it off the trailer. :D

What your saying makes sense, but the snow rolls right off with the blade angled all the way. Go figure.

I love that thing. 8 feet wide. I bought it for three reasons. I hate to back drag. Ballast. And down-pressure.
    And boy, do I ever HATE to backdrag

butler L$S

Put the big hole RIGHT above the box section and put the pin on it. Now this is a bit too high according to the directions but it's okay. The wings are just hanging from the hole you just made, swinging, right? Now rotate 'em up to where you like 'em and mark them for the two bolt on pin braces.

Get those all drilled and installed and you will find that the stock rubber pieces will no longer work because your wings are angled downward a bit. That's okay 'cause the rubber sucks anyway Put your two new 2 inch thick, 14 inch tall U-Edge pieces on where you like and mark em and drill em and you got it! Get out the tape measure and measure how wide your wallet is gonna get!
  11. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I like the idea of the u edge on the wings but would worry about the blade not being able to trip.
  12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

you do have to cut a 1.5 " in the wing.

The only downfall I ran into is that you have to cut a 1.5" hole into your plow. I used a cutting torch to do this because we did not have a drill that big.
    The only other problem is the the extra width when transporting. The plows all the way up in the v position does miss the ground about 6". The same as the plow with out the wing. The reason for this is the 20 degree angle of the wing makes the plow hang the the same as stock plow. The best of both worlds! Extra width and V versatility. All this for $200.00.
  13. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I put a set of Pro Wings on my Boss 8ft super duty. Its the same box construction as the V blades. I cut off the pin on the pro wing and drilled a hole where the pin was.Then I made a new pin from a large bolt with a hole for a tractor pin. The bolt slides thru the Pro wing thru the plow and then put on the lock pin.I drilled the hole in the moldboard over size and the welded in a piece of tube to seal the two box sections, which also made it much stronger.That way I didnt need to use that 5 inch washer that comes with the wings.I ran this setup for 6 years before trading off the plow.
  14. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

I put pro wings on my 9'2" BossV. I drilled the hole with a 1 1/4 " hole saw(drill bit). no problems, no braces in the way, just followed the directions that came with it ( except the part about not putting it on a V plow). So what did I do wrong ???
  15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Using only one wing?

Has anyone ever just put one wing on? Say on the left side of the blade so when you angle the blade right for windrowing it will just trail off...

ProSeasons, How are you going to attach the Sidewing and use your Backdrag blade?
  16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

The snow does trail of wing when angled. The snow does trail of because the pitch of the wing is only 20 degrees forward from the plow. Not going to keep snow from windrowing. The pin on the wing that goes thru the moldboard is long enough and does work. Locate that location and drill or cut hole. Insert pin and lift wing into desired position and mark for other two brackets and bolt them into place.