1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8.2V snow deflector

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by redhenny16, Dec 15, 2005.

1. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Has anyone made a snow seflector for a Boss V. I printed the instructions from the Boss web site but they don't give the rubber thickness. I bought some 3/8" belting, cut it to size and installed it on the wings OK. But I can't get the center section to work. It seams like the 3/8" belting is to thick, so I tried 1/8" thick material. This thickness installed OK but instead of folding upwards when you scoop the plow, it flops down. What should I do different. I cut the center piece to 16" wide by 21 1/2" long with both thicknesses of belting. :help: :confused:

2. payton

payton Senior Member

i saw something pretty damn impressive yestarday on a v plow

the guy took tines off a hay rake and mounted them on top of the snow defector it kept the deflector from flying up when driving and helped keep snow from pushing over.. really simple and need idea.

payton

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I know that this sounds like a stupid ? but did you screw the back of the center deflector to the A frame on the plow?

4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Yes I did, but I didn't want to drill a new hole in the plow. Instead I replaced the hinge pin retaining bolt with a studded bolt and fastened the center deflector down with a large flat washer and a nut. This puts the fastener closer to the hinge pin than Boss suggests but I don't think that it makes any difference.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

When you mount the belting between the 2 halves. make sure its not stretched too tight in the V setting.

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Put the 3/8" thick belting back on and try it then. It also may be how you have the center bolted to the wing belting. I have never had these problems and I've installed 3 to date. I know that the plow must be in the v position when installing the center belting. When the wings are folded back the center should cup down. When the wings are in the scoop position the center should stick up as you said. I'll go over my old install instructions and see if there is anything that catches my eye that you may or maynot be doing.

7. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Thanks Mark & Makndust, I remounted the 3/8" belting but looser this time and it works 100% better. I only used two bolts near the leading edge of the flaps though. Should I add two more closer to the top. I had two at the top before and they would get pinched when I scooped the plow. Seems to work OK with just the two lower bolts installed.

8. 03GMC

03GMC Junior Member
    from Canada

Got any pictures of the deflector? I want to try and make one as well.

Thanks

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I always sent 1/4" neoprene with all my deflector kits for the boss center sction, the center piece needs to me 16x24 for best fit