1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8.2 vxt

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JB2311, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JB2311

JB2311 Junior Member
    from ct

I have a boss 8.2 vxt the problem i have is that on the right side the cutting edge wears alot faster than the left side. The right at the outter edge is 5 inches and the left side at the outter edge is 5 3/4 inches. Why would this be happening please help thanks

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Probably something wrong.

Many things can cause uneven wear - incorrect mount height, weak spring in the truck, bent plow parts, bent mount parts, continous windrowing to one side (road plowing) the list could go on.

First check the truck side, is it at 15.5" the way you run the truck plowing (when you run 3000# of something in the bed while plowing, that height will change) on both sides?

Hook the blade up, straighten it out parellel to the bumper, raise it up a few inches and check the end heights of the plow side to side.

If the mount is right but the blade isn't, start looking for tweaks in the lower A arm or I've seen them tweak at the A arm pivot right at the blade. 3/4" sucks but it's a lot of work to get the tweaks out of them.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How's the rubber spacer on the frame,is it still there or moved over to one side?

4. JB2311

JB2311 Junior Member
    from ct

what rubber spacer? and i sust bought the plow used it looks like the guy didnt use it much but he did say that he plowed for the fire dept in his town in front of the ambalances so he was plowing roads maybe he had it angled right all the time

5. grandview

That will do it. There's more weight on the right hand side from the snow pushing down on it.

6. JB2311

JB2311 Junior Member
    from ct

what is the rubber spacer? and i did notice when driving home with it in the v postion that the right seamed alittle lower than the left is this normal ? nothing looked bent

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Could be a bent A-frame. Very Common on Boss Vs.

8. JB2311

JB2311 Junior Member
    from ct

thats not the news i was hoping to hear i just bought this plow is it a hard thing to change? , what does it cost?

9. grandview

You only burned an inch off,if your doing normal plowing it won't bother it to much.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Its not to bad to do. I've done it a few times on a couple different plows. The headgear has to come off. The I flipped the blade face down undid the trip springs then took the pin out that hold the A-frame to the center section. Just reverse the steps and to re assemble.

11. JB2311

JB2311 Junior Member
    from ct

So in your opinion should i replace it or can i get by leaving it the way it is thanks again

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

You can leave it, just make sure to remember that that side is going to wear faster. But you have a lot of life left in those edges before you have to worry. I forget how expensive they are, but they aren't hard to change. Its just the fact its probably bent just a little. If I was in your position I would buy a new set of edges and A-Frame once the edges are worn down.