1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 8.2 Vee one wing slow extend

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Honch057, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Honch057

Honch057 Junior Member

Have a 5yr old boss 8.2 v that the passenger side just started getting noticably slower on the extend. The raise and lower of the entire plow is normal and so is the driver side wing. Retract on both wings is also normal. Originally I was thinking something caught in the valve but then wouldnt the retract also be slow? Lookin for ideas instead of just throwing parts at this.
    thanks in advance.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The retract and extend functions are on two different valves so it can be a valve issue, debris perhaps as you suspect. You can swap the left & right retract valves (good time to check them for debris too) to see if the issue follows the valve. Cost's nothing but a little time.

Is it slower when operating the wings independently or at the same time? A slower right wing when extending simultaneously is normal.

3. Honch057

Honch057 Junior Member

Thanks B&B, didnt think of that and its easy to do. Yes, it is slower independently. Always was slower when doing both, but during last storm the right started slowing to the point i thought it was binding. Didnt realize it had different valves for in and out. I will jump on it tomorrow.

4. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

I just started having the same problem, it is now to the point where the left wing goes out about 2 inches and just stops, it has retracted fine all along. All other motions of the plow seem normal, I already checked the fluid level and that is fine. I am guessing a valve might be clogged, I am not sure how to check this though or swap them as previously suggested, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the motor continue to run when the wing stops extending, or does the motor stop also?

6. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

motor stops

7. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

I wasn't thinking.. I just read the thread about the guy who had the motor constantly running.. my motor continues to run after the wing stops until I let go of the controller.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then the issue is with either the wing extend valve, the wiring for it or a faulty controller. Check the extend valve for a loss of magnetism while the function is pressed to see if the coil is working. If it drops off then check that the blue wire stays hot while the function is pressed (using a test light). If power drops off on the blue wire then it's either a problem in the 13 pin connector, the controller connector, or the controller itself.

Also check for good ground on the coils ground wire as well.

For identification the left wing extend valve/coil is the one with the blue wire.

We can diagnose further once you check for mag, power on the blue wire, and ground on the black or brown coil ground wire if needed.

9. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

Thanks, will have to experiment with it later, plowing with a spare plow tomorrow, also a V and it is working fine so that should pretty much rule the controller out. Also I don't think I mentioned that the motor sounded like it was struggling a little when the wing first started to slow down towards the end of the last storm and the left wing would not work at the same time as the right. I hooked it up today and tested it for a few minutes to make sure I wouldn't have any issues, the wing then came to the point where it shuddered on its way out, then about two extensions later moved the two inches and stopped while the pump sounded like it was working really hard. I let the wing retract and it came back harder then normal. Stopped there to make sure I didn't damage anything.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That all indicates the valve isn't opening properly so follow the info above for initial testing and we'll continue forward from there.

11. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

magnetism is good, all wiring checks out. I noticed when I hooked it up today it was back to operating slowly, this leads me to believe that the the seal in the cylinder may be bad? It starts to extend more slowly the farther out the wing goes. I was thinking the next step would be to swap the valves for the left and right wing to rule those out before taking the cylinder apart, does my thought process make sense?

12. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

I just swapped the valves, they both look good, same problem. Just to double check I then swapped the magnets, same problem. Does this leave only the cylinder to blame?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the hinge has been greased as it should be periodically you have a defective wing cylinder. Not too common but it does happen, more so on the Smart Lock rams due to their additional internal components but still not too common there either.

14. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

Just got the ram back yesterday, a local hydraulic shop rebuilt it and put new seals in, I hooked it back up, same problem... When the plow/fluid is cold the wing operates, but operates slowly, if it sits in the sun or is used repeatedly the fluid must be warmer and the wing moves a little then stops. I am going to hook it up to another truck with another controller later even though I'm pretty sure I have ruled that out. The only other thing I can think of is an issue with the relief valve that might cause it not to close completely letting the fluid leak through rather then pushing the wing out. Is that a possibility? Can I swap the relief valves? How do I ensure I do not tighten them to much?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you swapped valves which two did you swap (wire colors)?

You can swap the reliefs side to side but I don't expect those as an issue but it's an easy test. Just snug them down as you reinstall each one.

16. mdscarpa

mdscarpa Junior Member

I followed the hoses from each cylinder and swapped the valves that were directly below where the hose goes into the hydro block for each wing, Red for the left, green for the right. I kept the magnets and wiring the same for the first test. After that didn't help I disconnected the magnets from the wires and swapped the magnets. I didn't want to swap the wires because I noticed the brown ones appeared to be wired in a series and didn't want to short anything, I wasn't sure if they were grounds. Problem was still on the left, so I decided to swap the hoses from the top of the hydro box for each wing. Problem stayed on the left. Can I swap the Green and Red wires as another test and leave the brown where they are? I was thinking after I posted that the relief valve probably wouldn't help because I had swapped the hoses and the problem still was on the left. Is there anything the hydraulic shop could have missed in rebuilding the ram? Given that the temperature appears to have an effect on if it works slowly or doesn't work at all I feel like it is something hydraulic and all my tests still lead me to the ram. My friend will be by in a little bit to hook it up to his truck so I can completely rule out controller and truck side. My truck and controller work fine on another plow I have though. My problem plow is a 8'2" poly v, at least 4-5 years old probably, the other plow is a steel v-xt. Are the rams the same? I had read they may be different. My next test would be to swap the actual ram if thats possible.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the problem didn't change sides with swapping the wing hoses then it's neither an electrical issue or a valve issue. It's either a mechanical issue (wing, hinge etc) or it's still a problem with the cylinder....which is what I still suspect. Quickest way to test is to swap the cylinders side to side. If the issue follows the cylinder then there's the issue.

18. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

Not sure whether it makes more sense to resurrect an old thread or create a new one; this is something that seems to vary from forum to forum. I'll go with the former under the assumption that keeping related information in a single thread makes more sense for those searching the forum than having it spread across multiple threads.

I'm having a similar problem with my 9.2 V, although there's one interesting difference . . . the right blade's speed is fine when I first start using the plow (i.e. when it's cold), but slows down after it's been in use for a while. The left blade remains fast throughout. I thought I'd throw that out there before opening it up and switching wires around. Does that shed any additional light on the source of the issue?

19. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

Pondering the symptoms a bit more, I realized that the right blade has also, on occasion, folded back unexpectedly (slowly at highway speed with the blades set straight or in scoop, and quickly when pushing snow). These occurrences are not predictable, however, which leads me to believe there might be crud in the relief valve that is causing random issues.

Thoughts?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the right wing ram is coming part inside. When they do they'll become "draggy" as they're cycled. It also explains why the wing drifts back as debris from the decomposing ram works it's way back through the manifold and consequently the valves. Once there's debris floating through the system it will obviously affect the sealing ability of the valves, both the control and relief valves.

So in you're case you're likely looking at a new cylinder but also important a full system cleanout including disassembling the manifold and it's components for a proper and thorough cleaning.