1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss 8.2 poly on f150?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plwbsns, Oct 3, 2003.

1. plwbsns

plwbsns Banned

have a 97 f150. what about a boss poly 8.2 power v on this truck?
  2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Invest heavily in insurance......Notifty the next of kin. Then have a blast.

Seriously. I'm sure it's been done by someone. The problem is the torsion bar suspension and frame will be seriously over loaded.

Not my Idea of a good use of the truck or plow. I'd match the F150 with a 7.6 or 8.0 straight blade and put the V on a 250 or 350 But that's just my .02

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

WAY overloaded.Get a smaller straight blade,or get a bigger truck.
  4. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I'd go with a 7' straight on that truck. And remember! Poly is barely lighter than steel. That is a heavy plow. I'm not trying to knock your idea. Its just that a lot of people on here give weak trucks way too much credit. IMO
    You may want to look into a Ram wd-250 or 350. They are really strong trucks. My 250 is stronger than most new 3/4 ton trucks on the road. (The new Dodges are nice too. I'm not knocking them at all. Its just that a 250 ram will be a lot cheaper and every bit as strong.)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

hear that sound

that the frame cracking

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

LOL!!!:eek: :p :D

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

The poly is actually a little heavier than the same plow in steel moldboard, but the V is just too much , even in the 7'6" V model, for that truck. We have had good luck with western pro plows in 7'6" on F150's, with a spring upgrade, or airbags.

I would look at your options in a 7'6" straight blades, from western to blizzard to boss, and everything in between. You cannot really go wrong with any of them. Then put a set of wings on it, and you will be good to go.
  8. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

A rear ballist might be a good idea as well. The whole poly misconception is weird. I used to think that poly was way lighter than steel. This isn't the case. Most poly plows are only slightly lighter (40lb range) than their steel counterparts. And in some cases, usually with a v plow the poly is actually heavier. I knew the fisher was heaver but I didn't know the western was. But now I know!
    Speaking of small trucks......I have the ultimate plow machine for this winter:
    There is a poly plow that I am going to put on my 2001 Honda Ciciv Ex. It has a 1.7l 4cyl. Stock 115 hp. I'm gonna put exaust +30hp, k&n air filter+20hp, aem cold air intake+25hp, a racing stripe+50hp, rear spoiler+100hp(Its a fwd car the rear spoiler will keep the back wheels on the ground), and a blitz body kit+500hp.
    Bring it on Johnny D I'm gonna be able to plow over your truck. Then I will hit my stage 3 rice injector button and pull you around like a fly. I'm guessing I will be able to put a 12' plow with wings on her. Mounted to the back bumper will be a buyers v-box spreader heaped with about 4k lbs of magic. In addition, I will put on a back blade and sidewing. I figure I'll start out small this year and only take on small stuff like Walmart, the mall, and 10 miles of freeway. payup payup
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Uh, micah, did you notice little green leaves in your cereal this morning?:confused:
  10. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

No green stuff. I just figured I'd make a funny post about small trucks with big plows. Its the whole unibody jeep thing I guess. Don't worry I'm not nuts yet!!:angel:
  11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Central Ct State University runs an F150 with a Uni Mount Western MVP. The front end sags pretty bad on it. I wouldn't recomend one on your truck at all.