1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 7'6" straight plow motor runs/strains but does not lift?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

It must be a truck wiring issue...

We installed a 7'6" standard duty plow on our oldest 91 F150 today. Everything is ready to go, one problem, motor tries to raise, doesnt move the plow at all, pump runs but does not lift... what did we wire wrong?

Keep in mind, this plow was just used a week ago on our 03 f150 to test out, all was fine, we've had it almost a year now.

It must be the truck end wiring? The harness is clean, no bent pins, all power connections are solid... like i said, pump runs, but sounds like its straining, like the motor runs but harness not telling which valve to open so that the cylinder can raise the plow up in the air?

help !

2. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

its not the same controler/truck harness that was used on the test truck correct?

with it not being infront of me makes it alittle difficult but i trouble shoot these things every day so i'm gonna rack my brain. but if your sure its on the truck side i'd check everything..plus your connection at the contoler hookup in the cab. i dont have my service manauls/trouble shoot paperwork with me.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it angle?

4. Ramairfreak98ss

thanks guys, yes it angles both ways

Not sure if it "goes down" because the plow never came up to put down yet.

all lights work, angles left and right....

Ill check the controller connector inside.. maybe one of the 9-12 pins isnt touching well?

5. Ramairfreak98ss

no, harness and plow came off a 07 dodge 1500. Plow was put onto our 03 f150 one storm to test it last month, tried it again a week ago to move it, worked fine, theyre stored inside, always covered and its only a 2007 late model standard duty.

harness finally put on 91 ford f150.. now this is happening with the same plow:confused:

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the pump cover and check the lift coil for mag. Lift coil will be the one with the white wires. If it doesn't have mag then backtrack from there. Pin # 3 on the truck side plug should show power with a test lamp when the lift function is pressed. See plug diagram here for location of the #3 pin.
    You can also run a hot wire directly to the coil for testing.

Use this post to bypass the controller if you suspect it to be an issue and don't have access to a spare. http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=947733&postcount=6

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

it seems like people have the most problems with there plow when they try to install them, now iam not saying you have no expirence OP but. ive herad of many problems this year and the first three words are, "we insalled a" or "i installed" and then theres a problem. i got mine installed by company and no problems and if i do get a problem i can go to them and they fix it for free even if its 4am in a snow storm