1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 7.6 super duty wont angle

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bigbear01, Oct 14, 2009.

1. bigbear01

bigbear01 Junior Member

I bought a used plow, it lifts and lowers fine but it wont move when i hit angle. The motor will run and if i hit side to side a few times the plow will jump up a little each time. I know i have air in the lines, i cracked the hoses and hit the pump but no fluid came out. this is my first plow and i am lost. ive cleaned the contacts point and still nothing. its an older 7.6 superduty, before the quick-tach came out. Any advice would be great guys, i'm just at a loss.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Need to pin the age down a little closer.

RT1, RT2 I'm assuming since you're saying it's an older plow as they've been "quick attach" (RapidTach would be the correct terminology) from day one...just different generations.

3. bigbear01

bigbear01 Junior Member

I should have said before that it doesnt have the smart hitch but still has the same push bar as the new ones. and it only has 2 relays for the headlights, before the 5 relays came out

4. bigbear01

bigbear01 Junior Member

Ok, i have a RT3 undercarriage for my truck....just no smarthitch option on the plow

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the pump cover and check the angle coils for magnetism with a wrench while a helper attempts to angle the plow. To identify which valve/coils control the angle it will be the only one with two coils stacked on the same valve. Check each coil one at a time for magnetism to see if it's there while your helper angles the plow.

If you do have mag on both the coils then remove the coils and the valve from the manifold and stroke the internal valve spool with a small screwdriver to see if it's stuck or bent..and I'll bet it is. Since to lose BOTH angle functions that's usually what it takes..

Note: Be VERY careful while doing so and stand well clear of the blade while doing the test! If the plow would all of a sudden begin to function while standing in the way you're in for a bad day. :nono:

6. bigbear01

bigbear01 Junior Member

Thank you so much B&B, i noticed that one did and the other didnt when i was cleaning the connections and testing it. Im heading out the door to play now!!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds good. Just a note in case you're not aware or I wasn't clear enough. You'll only have magnetism on one coil at a time, not both. The outer coil with the red/black wire is your angle right and the inner with the blue wire is your angle left...so they should each be magnetized during those respective functions.

8. bigbear01

bigbear01 Junior Member

do you mean the two stacked on the same rod? i have two sets or two coils and i switched them both and still the same effect. i removed an angle hose and hit the switch and no fluid came out, it was filled with fluid but wouldnt push any out of the "vavling box" i guess i would call it.The vavles your talking about are in the box my coils are mounted to? Again thank you for your help, im still learning haha

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, the two coils that are stacked on the same "rod" (valve stem). Are you getting magnetism from either one?

10. bigbear01

bigbear01 Junior Member

It was the valve, we took it out and cleaned the little SOB and shes workin like a charm now!! The guy i bought it from uses tranny fluid, would you say thats safe? Thanks again so much

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Flush the system and switch to genuine Boss fluid. :nod: