1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss 600 or snowex 575

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stotts1, Dec 11, 2013.

1. stotts1

stotts1 Member

Torn between the two, I like some of the features on the boss but havent heard about their reliability. On the other hand it seems folks love the 575.

Pros and cons from those of you that use or have used eithier would be awesome! GO:popcorn:

2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't like the tranny or motors on Snow Ex.. I have had a few of them.. Always had to get out of the truck and kick the snow ex before it would turn.. Always giving you that dam error EO.. Hate it..

Never had a boss tail gate.. But i would buy it just because Boss is the best and its Red not Yellow

3. stotts1

stotts1 Member

Thanks Flawless, I noticed one of your trucks has a tailgate spreader, what do you use? Also where do you buy your Boss equipment at?

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This is right on, I have owner Snowex for years and had the same problems with both 575 and 1075 spreaders. We currently looking at Boss 600 and 1100(?) spreaders now.

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Cut the plate on the bottom off to get to the gearbox. If i remember correctly you will need to also make a cut on the back too to get access to everything. Do that and clean out all the crappy factory grease and replace with axle grease. Weld plate on back back on and bolt the bottom plate back on silicone any open areas and now your good as new! I have done this to 3 TG salters now and they all supposedly didn't work anymore.

Or just send them to me for free.

6. Flawless440

It was the old square or cube style orange buyers, simple design.. These season that truck has no spreader, carrying snow blowers and sidewalk salt while plowing...

Boss sold at kaffmenburger truck equipment

7. brewcity

brewcity Junior Member

The boss 600 which is what I run. I have to hand turn the spinner almost every time I salt if I don't the overload light comes on and won't spin.

8. SnowGuy73

Are you talking about the 575 here?

If so do you just load up the inside all around with grease, any pictures? We've tried everything in the past.

9. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

I would take a look at the newer style meyers spreaders. used to be magnum spreaders. on my third season and never had the auger bind up when I start spreading. 350s or 750s. they have pretty heavy duty direct drive 1/2hp motors. there is a feature specifically designed to avoid the issue you guys are talking about with it binding up

10. stotts1

stotts1 Member

anyone else? :popcorn:

11. Flawless440

We would use a vibrator to spread bulk salt, it wouldn't bind up with it on first

12. SnowGuy73

I run bulk clearlane through mine without a vibrator with no promblems.