1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 2001 Suburban Plow Lights Wont Come On

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by thetrub, Jan 12, 2013.

1. thetrub

thetrub Junior Member

Help:redbounce:redbounce Help before it gets cold outside!

I need to get the Plow lights working on a Chevy 2001 Suburban, Boss RT3 Sport Duty..new install. The lights work fine in truck mode, but no lights in plow mode. Also, the high beam indicator on the truck stays on even though i toggle the high beam switch (plow mode only). I have checked all the grounds to the relays..all good. I have 12 volts to the relay when I turn on the plow lights. I have the light adapters plugged into the "B" side. The vehicle make connector is on the normal setting.

Is there something else I can check or has anyone else run into this problem on a Chevy.

Thanks for the advise!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's a 5 relay harness, remove the small red/white wire from the battery (which is where you should have connected it) and retest light operation.

3. thetrub

thetrub Junior Member

I think I figured out the problem. On Chevy 1999 to 2002 vehicles a "Dual Burn" relay has to be added and wired into the Vehicle make Connector as noted on Boss Document page G10272. I'll post if it works (probably not till next weekend).

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't have a 5 relay harness then you don't have dual burn, and it isn't required to make the lights function correctly on any vehicle. It wasn't even available until 2008 and nothing else in the harness was ever different prior. In other words you don't need a DB relay for your lights to work correctly so you have something else going on.

5. thetrub

thetrub Junior Member

Suburban Lights Boss RTS Sport Duty Plow

You were correct, didn't need the extra relays. Found two problems this week-end. The first was a broken vehicle make connector. The male stub had broken inside the connector, so even though it looked like it was plugged in, it was not making good contact. This effected the plow low and hi beams. The second problem was with the plow turn signals. I used blue splice in-line connectors to attach the plow harness wires to the vehicle turn signal/parking light wires. Even though the tabs were locked into place, they were not making good contact. I opened them up and took my channel locks and gently pushed down firmly until the metal "pinch" pieces were even with the plastic. I locked the tab back into place and wrapped them with self fusing tape.

All is good now purpleboupurplebouNow all I need is snow!!