1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss 1100 Tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TLS, Dec 26, 2008.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have an original Boss tailgate spreader (the type that hydraulically lifts itself onto the rear receiver mount) and I am seeing a intermitant problem in that it will stop at certain times. I have to go back and kick the spinner to get it going. I also am rarely able to go from place to place with a load, as I will always have to go back and kick start it. It's as if it doesn't have enough power (never did). The cutting out and stopping is new this year.

I took the rear motor cover off for the first time this fall. Everything looks fine inside, but I was TOTALLY amazed that they use a motor and gearcase from a linear actuator like the one that lifts the spreader. I was envisioning a large 4" motor with a beefy 90 degree gearcase. It's no wonder this spreader has no torque.

Has there been improvements to this? Are there retrofittable fixes?

The only other problem is the amount of rust on the Boss receiver hitch. It will have to be sandblasted and reinforced this Spring for sure.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Bump for a busy Saturday afternoon!

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

what year do you think your spreaders is? i know i clean mine off each time i use it, just too much caked up salt on it im sure will rust them fast.

i think the small motor is for power draw, big motor would draw a ton of juice vs the little motor isnt nearly the amperage required. It would be nice if you could hit the "blast" switch and it actually spun it with more balls than just 100% speed lol

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

My serial # is 100025, so I guess it was the 25th they made. I bought it in '04 with my truck.

As for the rust....it's defineatly related to they're lack of prep prior to painting.

Do you experience any jamming after transporting a load a few miles?

I would like the blast button to simply work with the spreader OFF. Would be nice for those areas you just want to tap a bit of salt on.

5. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Same hear. I actually considering switching to a snow ex.