1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

borrow equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by larrylaverne, Jan 8, 2010.

1. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

has any one ever been approached by a non customer who wanted to borrow your stuff? This morning i'm 3/4 finished with a residents drive and a resident from across the street(apt. complex) wants to borrow my snow shovel to dig his car out at their entrance. i told him i dont loan out my equipment, he looks puzzled so i offered to guide him out (not push)... straight your wheels and slowly rock it... he's gone later, im thinking there could be issues with loaning tools shovels etc etc
  2. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Yeah, I Would never loan a shovel to someone( Non- customer Or even a customer) usually i only have 2 anyway! I got a nice one then the $4 on thats a piece of crap.. And it was during a storm...What if he would have broke it? Now you dont have a shovel to do all the rest of walkways (well unless u carry 2 like I) :D
  3. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Had a neighbor of one of my customers in the summer come up and ask to borrow my "weed spinning thing" aka string trimmer. cause his broke. I say NO he gets pissed says you got 3 and are only using two.....:dizzy: guy gives me the finger everytime im across the street to mow my customer
  4. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I was removing gravel from a customers flower bed last year, the homeowners son asked to use my shovel to help, I said ok, never again he broke it, it was one of the 45 dollar plastic grain shovels. learnt my lesson. It was nice he wanted to help, but still now im out of a shovel
  5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd loan my shovels in a heartbeat to someone if they needed it. I'm surprised to hear others wouldnt?
  6. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't borrow and I don't loan stuff out. Too many lessons that cost me money and equipment both ways period. I bought mine, you should buy yours. END !
  7. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

Me too buddy, a shovel is not a real big deal to me. And I always like to help somebody out if the risk to me is not too great, which it's not, with a shovel.
  8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I lent my shovel and helped push a guy out and dug around his car and got him. Its not that big of a deal.
  9. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

Snow shovel isn't a big deal, but something like a spade is a big no-no.
  10. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

ya something like a shovel i wouldn't even think twice about, especially if they are within my view...never been burned i guess, and usually people are good hearted enough to bring back a shovel considering i lended it to them to HELP them out...now a weedeater? i would probably still let someone borrow it if it was just accross the street but that's where it gets questionable, i mean they do cost $300...we usually have one that needs to be replaced soon anyways...
  11. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

power equipment is definitely out of the question, and even some hand tools--mainly b/c its property that I would end up replacing if something happens to it.
  12. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Don't loan any equipment out. Shovel Maybe, definately not anything with a motor or value. I don't speek with family members over this exact issue.

To make the story short. Cousins father in law (very, very well off financially) toasted a clutch on my woodchipper. $1700 to replace. Said he wasn't responsible for it. Haven't spoke to my cousin in 2 years. Haven't seen my god daughter or nephew either. Pretty sad actually. I am actually more pissed that he won't own up to it more than the money.
  13. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

not letting someone borrow a snow shovel seems alittle extreme, your talking 4 dollars to replace god for bid they break it. now if the person wants to shovel their driveway with it or something that will delay you i can see saying no, but if someone needs help i try and help them because if i was in the situation i would hope someone would help me
  14. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

have loaned many shovels and many customers have given me shovels.Have about 20 shovels (not used) in my storage and I bet youless then 10 are mine.
    when you loan out a tool costing more than 20 bucks ask for a tool of equal or greater value for guarantee...you'll see them go to the store to buy there own or at least they won't bother you no more.
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If I had a $4 shovel, then maybe I would let them use it. But my snow shovels cost me alot more than $4. I use the Yo-Ho 36" and 48" pushers or aluminum grain shovels.
  16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No I don't have time for some moron to be borrowing my shovels while I'm busy workin'.
  17. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

So, people who borrow shovels are all morons?:confused:
  18. If you live in snow country and don't keep a shovel in your vehicle in winter, Then IMO,,,,,,,, Yup
  19. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Exaqctly, What if you finish what you need to get done before they even get rolling digging the car out? Then you either have to wait, come back later for it & hope to see it again, or go ask them for it, then YOU are the bad guy. I look at it like this, I've spent the money on it, it's a tool I use for my business, chances are if they break it they won't offer to replace it. I don't borrow items from people either. If I can't afford to buy it, I''ll rent one. I see people on CL everyday, want to borrow trucks or trailers of all things, woodworking tools also. People are ballsy
  20. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

yeah, i see this look GREAT FOR PUBLIC RELATIONS!
    it's a damn shovel, let the guy use it.. big deal. should he have his own? yes of course he should, but he may have broken his. if i have a spare i will gladly let some one borrow it.
    unless i'm in a hurry or i just don't like the guy to begin with. i think my shovel was like 15 bucks? big deal.. from u letting the guy borrow the shovel he would most likely consider u a friend and a good all around person. there is a good chance he would refer u to potential customers. witch would more then pay for the $15.

the last snow storm we had i got stuck! it happens... i went to the guy that was plowing the house next door.. he finished plowing and pulled me out. free of charge!
    i have more then enough plow jobs to keep myself busy, last that day i was asked if i would plow the local car wash, i told the guy i really don't have time but (scott xxxxx) i think might have time to do it and i gave the guy his phone number....

you scratch my,back i'll scratch yours.... ussmileyflag