1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Born Into Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wesley's Lawn, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Hey guys i was just curious how many of you were born into plow, Like you father did it and you grew up around it, or howmany of you started on your own. I was born into it my dad did it for 20 years and i accuried his truck and now he wants to get back into it.:D :drinkup:
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was born and raised in SW Iowa. Never knew anyone to have a plow on their truck. Never knew anyone except the County to do any snowplowing. I moved to Maine in October, 1991 and started paying someone to plow my driveway. In 2000, I decided I could do that myself, so I bought a new plow for the Dodge 150 I still have. Up to that point, I'd never even sat in a truck with a plow on it and had to ask the guys who installed it to show me how to operate it. He showed me how to raise it so I could get it home. I'd already started coming on PS (LawnSite) before then. I haven't gotten any help in learning to plow from anyone local. Everything has come from here or trial and error. Seem to be doing ok, so must have had some good teachers. I've asked some really "dumb" questions (still do, I suppose) and hope I'm passing on some good advise.
  3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I may have been born in July but i was brought up as a baby in a plow truck. Was driven around as a baby in my dads mid seventies Chevy C10 with Fisher plow. And what do you know all these years later im still here loving snow plowing and my dads old truck is still driving around town. My dad no longer owns it and it shows. When my dad owned it it was in mint condition. Now that "Bob the Barber" owns it it has all different color body panels (not a pretty sight).

I feel that I was born into plowing and will die into plowing.

Its a beautiful thing.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I was born into plowing,alwasy rode with Dad when he plowed when i Was young,Started workign with him the day I got my license.Back then plowing paid my full tuition to college for me.We had 3 decent plowing yrs,and As soon as i got done with college I took Dad's entire route over,as he moved to Fla.I still have 90% of the customers from when i was 16 yrs old,that was 17 yrs ago.
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Born into Plowing

Not in a plowtruck but with my dad handing me a snow shovel & telling me to shovel our drive. ;)

I was the first in our family to take to being a snowplower :waving: I've taken both of my kids plowing for a hr. or 2 & they both liked it. :)
  6. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

My dad didn't plow any other accounts other than our own farm, (w/ tractor). I started plowing a few years out of high school.... Started right after my second year of college. Only one account my first year. Three the next & so on..... So, I guess my dad did plow,(& I rode w/ him as a boy), just not commercially. However that fits into the original question I'm not sure. Kind of a so-so, I guess...

Boss 444

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i was conceived in the snow storm of 63 iwasntborn in to it
    but during it lol

cardoctor:drinkup: :drinkup:
  8. myo

myo Senior Member

Snowplowing wasn't in my family. I began my own plowing 3 years ago.
  9. drobson

drobson Senior Member

My father used to plow for the city and for the state when I was young, although I never really knew what he was doing at the time. He would tell me about his plowing days after he was retired. I had a plow truck about 12 years ago, but it was just for personal use. Then I started plowing for business 2 years ago, too bad it was after my father had passed away, he would have loved to have been around the equipment again.
  10. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I started out back in the 1976 doing my neighbors drives with he tractor that my dad had.
    Didn't have my drivers license at that time so just did ones on our street with it.
    Still do some of those except for the ones that have been sold and lost a bunch of them a couple of years ago due to the new exit 8 going in on I-90( which is a sore subject):realmad:

11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My father use to own an auto shop and comm/res plowing as a side biz.
  12. long0

long0 Senior Member

I remember begging my father to take me plowing with him as a kid. Usually after about a couple of hours, I would fall asleep, and he would take me back home. After he passed away in '95, I dropped out of college and moved back to Colo to keep and eye on mom, and continue his love of plowing.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I was born into a snowplowing family. My dad started in 69 with my uncle who was plowing with a 68 bronco and a meyers plow (no one in the city had a plow in the early seventies, if you had a pickup truck you were considered a farmer). They moved on to small commercial and then eventually on to large commercial lots in the mid seventies. I started in 87 when I was 18 and its still just the two of us (my brother and uncle moved away) and things have been going fairly well since then. BTW we just got called to give a qoute on the very first commercial job my uncle and father plowed over thirty years ago. We decided it was just to small now (condos).
  14. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Born into it, I used to fall asleep plowing with my father. He used a 70 something jeep cherokee with the quadratrac. What a plow machine that was... I don't ever recall him getting stuck like I do today... Ha Ha Now he even sub's for me when he can, and even drives one of my trucks on the small storms...

15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Not quite born into plowing...My Dad was an official in the city Water Department. I have memories of sitting in the crane operator's lap when they were building the filtration plant--I was around 4 years old. Lots of other good ones of being on and around construction machinery when I was just a kid. He was an administrative type, not involved in the actual dirty hands stuff, but I got enough exposure to it that it feels perfectly right to have ended up here. (These days if I see a parent letting their kid watch me operate I tell them how I ended up here and suggest they take the kid to the hospital to watch some brain surgery instead.) So, I guess I wasn't quite *born* into ditch digging either, but I was corrupted real early....

I got into plowing because it's a good thing to do when the dirt gets covered with snow.
  16. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I grew up around and in the cab of a Ford truck, with a fisher plow.

17. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I grew up around and in heavy equipment, My old man is a equipment operator and always took me to work with him, It was such a great time got to ride in all the trucks and equipment all day long, he plowed snow but I never went with him, cause it was with a loader no room to sit or anything. But when I turned 16 I knew that I wanted to plow and be in business with a lot of equipment, so I started plowing, now my Dad is an operator for me,(MY BEST ONE) and we work as a team at a couple of the larger sites.
  18. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Father had a 60's Jeep Pickup with a plow. During the blizzard in the 60's, the neighbor's loved him. Don't remember many plow trucks then. He drove some kind of (Unheated) tractor to plow out the warehouse for a supermarket chain he worked for.

My first plow truck: a 72 Chevy Shortbed with a 350. That thing could stack snow. Got out of it for 15 yrs or so. Put a blade on the little John deere tractor one day and it all came back to me. Enough of this 8HP, 32" stuff, I said, I need to get back into real plowing. Girlfriend thought that was a dumb idea. So, I got rid of the van, got rid of the girlfriend, got a real truck and a great wife. It's been great! :D
  19. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Having a great wife is half the battle right there. Mine rode along with me the couple of times we were out last winter. This year she's moved up to driving her own. :)
  20. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I was born into it. My dad started plowing in 1959. He had 1940's Willys Jeep and a 1951 Ford F-3 stake body truck. I can remember riding in the Jeep with him when I was about 5 years old. He moved up to a 1971 Ford Bronco in 1973. Then in the early 1980's he bought a 1979 Ford F-250. These plow trucks all had Meyers plows. For all of you guys that think Meyers stuff is junk, all I can say is my Father and I have both made a heck of alot of money with that "Meyer Junk". :) ;) :) ED