1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bored police officer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by downtoearthnh, Feb 23, 2015.

1. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

While plowing during the small storm yesterday (4" on the NH coast), and travelling along a local road, the duty officer who approached me did a Uturn and turned on the blues. He stopped me, he said, for an educational purpose. Any plow safety lights have to be shut off unless the truck is in the process of plowing a driveway. None are allowable in transit between driveways. Ambers are all that are allowed in NH, but there are multiple vehicles with clear strobes, and many who run strobes in the red tail light section, both violation level offenses. Officer safety seemed more concerned about a plow truck with a roof mounted strobe for his daily catch!
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

So did you have strobes on or an amber rotary?
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Here my amber has to be on anytime that plow is hook on going down the road since its wider then 8.5ft
    DOT rule.
  4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've become so sick of "plow jockeys" running down the road with their strobes on, I'd have actually given you a ticket if I was the officer......
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
  6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I plow roads and it seems like every plow truck drives around with there strobes on . Makes people immune to the lights. Seems like nobody even notices the one rotator on my roof.
  7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

There's a few guys around here who flip their lights on before they leave their house and never turn them off until they get back home I think. I can understand leaving them on if you're only going to be on the road between accounts for a few seconds but the guys who drive 5+ minutes to the next account should turn them off. Nothing like sitting at a traffic light with 40 other cars who are confused why you have every single light on your truck going when the other 5 plow trucks that are waiting have no warning lights on.

I also think that over use of the lights will desensitize the general public more then they already are. Driving around with all the lights on will no longer mean they should proceed with caution and pay attention around you, they'll just drive right past like normal. It would be like a police officer of fire truck/ambulance driving around with the lights on all the time just because they have them, wouldn't take long before the lights have no meaning or use at all besides decoration.
  8. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

Understood, and even though my drives are less than a mile apart, I will turn the roof strobe off. It was not a plow jockey move, but I understand the issue fully now. Sorry for the hot button issue!
  9. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Agree 100%

I think the OP should consider it a good lesson. He was informed of his local laws (which he seems to have been in violation of at the time) at no cost to him other than some of his time.
  10. Mark Oomkes

It didn't even get warmed up yet. lol

There's an entire thread about this, 7 or 8 pages long.
  11. wadadlianu

wadadlianu Junior Member
    from NH

To my knowledge, all traffic enforcement departments will be targeting and educating plow drivers due to an "increase" in traffic violations this year. I believe you were selected and lucky for you he was in education mode and not ticketing mode.

I am glad you brought your experience to light since this was a question I asked just last week, as I noticed many of the local plowers with their numerous strobes driving all over.
  12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

To put it quite simply, I forget when I try using the amber only while the plow is down. The result is either I'm plowing with them off or driving with them on. So I leave them on.
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I use lighted switches so I can tell at glance if the lights are on or not. Also reflections off things, even during the day usually make it pretty easy to figure out if your lights are on or off, and if they are working normally or not. It also seems that it's a pretty easy habit to pick up, I'll remember turning my lights on at the beginning of an account and turning them off at the end but I know I didn't have to think about it. It's just an automatic thing. Salter off, blade up and wings retracted, lights off, window up, and I'm on my way to the next one.
  14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I wish they'd ticket more guys here....

Sick of all the idiots who think that a 2' horizontal LED lightbar across their plow tree is their replacement for their regular headlamps. Wonderful being completely blinded by some yahoo at 2 in the morning when I'm the only other guy on the road.

We're not allowed to have these lights on our trucks either, but unless it starts to come out of their pockets, no one will pay any attention to the laws.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Do you forget to lift your plow when leaving an account?
  16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Got a few butthats around here with that same led light bar on the lift frame. Got to tell one of them off when he showed up at the plow shop. :realmad:
  17. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I plow roads so the light is on while I am working. But the police here stay at the local fire houses when it snows so they are not an issue.
  18. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That lightbar must be 5 million candle power. You cannot see anything when they're driving at you, and it's just a matter of time before someone crashes and dies because of someone's ignorance and stupidity.

On the bright side (pardon the pun) if the opposing person in their car dies upon impact, there'd be no one to tell the cops why they lost control and wound up wrapped around that pole.:angry:
  19. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Only run amber,The only white I even have are a pair of Apollo's mounted on the headgear. They are amber/white and I only have them flashing if I am trying to pull out of a blind drive (100" of snow so far and we have a lot of blind drives) otherwise I use the override to turn them into flood lights but the blade blocks them when driving.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Angle plow left, drop plow and blast the DA.