1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bored in rochester

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kwegman003, Feb 5, 2008.

1. kwegman003

kwegman003 Member

as some of you may know I am in college and plow before classes (about a 3-4 hour rotation) to keep some money in. lets put it this way...im getting all A's in my classes. We had some snow earlier in the year but nothing big lately. Glad I have enough contracts to keep expenses paid.

2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

buy a salter i live in roc city and have made a lot of money with it this year too many trips to count during our last slush storm made 4 trips in a day and a half 4x 307 $$$1228 not including plowing

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

dude, its your type of irresponsibility that make those of us that try to do this for a living's life hard. Four trips:dizzy: this is why people say no to salting, its because your robbing them and they know it.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What is wrong with 4 trips. I have banks that have to be bare at all times and i have made four trips to them in one day. They would rather pay over a 1000 each a day for salt then deal with a slip and fall lawsuit. if they did not want to pay that money then they would have hired some one for cheaper and not put in there contract about there lots being completly cleared at all times. I dont think he is being irresponsible. I think he is doing the job that is asked of him and if it involves four saltings in one day that what it takes. The city will salt the same road more then 4 times in one day and look at all the traffic it gets to activate the salt. So for a parking lot with less traffic needs to be salted more in order to melt off the snow and ice. Dont go off on someone if you dont know the facts first. He is just doing his job, I send my banks there bill at the end of the month and they pay the bill and dont ask any questions. Keep the lots clean and everyone is happy....You are the one that should quit:cry:

5. Burkartsplow

just doing his job!!!

this is a test

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I have to agree, 4 times in a day not a big deal!!!

We do every Dr office in my town !!! I know of 3 time off the top of my head I have salted them 3 times between 7am and 1pm..

Last week, we had frezzing rain / snow/ and slush

Every thing got salted 3 times by 1pm
    Then we salted every thing at 7pm when the snow went done every thing froze up
    Then we salted every thing the next morning

Yea that is 5 salts in just over 24hrs !!

They pay the bill, and there happy!!!
    We cover 75% of town, and are know for the best services, and not the lowest price!

7. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Also Wile were talking about it!!

I hear guys all the time, saying how no one wants to pay for salt !

In my book this means, you dont know how to sell this service to them !!!

I have accounts, I dont want for the plowing but for the salting !!!

Yes that is right, I dont go driving around saying I want to plow that lot... I say I want to salt that Lot!!!!

8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Yes he dose do that I have been there with him and he has told me he wants to plow that lot and salt that one to. Or just plow it and salt another lot

9. Burkartsplow

i would rather salt all winter long then plow all winter. Less stress and less wear on the machines and half the time with twice the profit. If I could just get salting contracts all winter long and not have to plow then I would be one happy camper. us ohio guys just have to stick together.

10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yea some of us would be poor if it wasnt for salt

11. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

or u would have a lot shorter life on ur cutting edges not that urs live long lifes anyway

12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

zero tollerance accounts are one thing and if that is the type MC1 has then rock on, but its the normal commercials where guys give away cheep plowing and kill'em in salting that I don't like. Hey, I love salting too, Give me 1" snow falls all winter and I'm happy.

13. Burkartsplow

it is all about karma I believe. I am not going to screw someone and over charge them for service that they dont need, cause it always comes back to you in the end. If you work hard and run an honest business you will do well. Yes you are going to come across the eventual breakdown and big ticket fix, but that is business. The ones that over charge and low ball are not going to make it more then a couple of seasons and companies learn they get what they pay for. Us guys that do it right will be around for a lifetime...

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I agree with you on that !!!

15. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

so i told this girl that everytime it snows i get nervous. shes like y shes like all u have to do is go out there and plow. i am like its not just plowing i have a ton to worry about. and the way i leave the place and the time i arrive and leave all reflects on my company and myself. i am not scared at what i have to do or how i have to do it. what i am scared of is how i look doing it and after. i know if u have to many iorn's in the fire ur gonna get burnt. treat people like u want to be treated and ull still get screwd around but at least ull be an honest man