1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Booze,Corn,Beets deicers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eager Beaver, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

We have all heard about the Magic Products and how they work. Has anyone tried any of the other products that are avaliable? Some are distillery,corn and sugar beet byproducts mixed with mag chloride or other inert ingrediants. Now Magic Users don't bash me! I am just curious what other products have been tried if any and with any success. Thought it was a good topic for comments and experiences.

2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Good Morning,
    To tell you the truth,around here I have never seen an advertisement for any else,except pure liguid mag.(no salesmen)
    I am sure it all works.Thought about having a huge party,then taking the almost empty bottles and making our own.What do you think?If it doesn't work at least it will be one heck of a party!
    I can tell it's gonna be a lonnnggg day..

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

According to my research, that is what magic is, magnesium mixed with distillery by-products (sold under the trade name IceBGone).

4. Mike Nelson

Lawnguy,
    Just talked to J.P.and you are correct.Sears oil which sells it in New England under trade name IceBGone.
    IMUS which sells it in N.Y. and elsewhere under trade name MagicO.
    Sears oil is the company who holds all the pattens.

5. Eager Beaver

Does any one have John Parkers Email address?
    I haven't talked with him in quite awhile about this and would like to get in contact with him. Has anyone had any complaints from their customers about the products and what has been your overall success storys about using it. (Magic)

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Magic results

Ok,, here's a decent case study.

Yesterday we had 2-3 inches of snow that dribbled down over a period of about 6 hours. Temps were low 30s, nto quite neough to keep it melting. The result was that if there was much traffic it packed into a thin layer of something very close to ice.

By 7 this morning it was down to 5 deg. F, with some sunshine thorugh broken clouds and a 5-10 mph WNW wind.

A friend of mine operates an equipment sales and rental shop near me. Over the years he has done his share of favors for me. By way of thanks, I make a habit of salting his lot if I have some left int he spreader after I finish my run. He had plowed late yesterday afternoon, after the storm had passed. The yard was covered with a layer of pack, well tracked down from traffic.

I dropped 3-400 lbs on an area that I would consider to be around 15,000 sq. ft. then headed home for sleep. I stopped back this afternoon with a question and he asked what I had put down. This fellow has been involved in large sacle commercial snow operations in the past so he knows a bit about what's "normal". He commented that he knew it was too cold for salt to work, and that he was amazed at how fast it burned the pack off. His other comment was that he thought, at first, that it was sand from the color and that it didn't look like I put down all that much.

Anyhow, I dropped close to 4 tons last night, more than I would normally apply, but due to the low temperatures I felt it was better to overapply and clean things up. Virtually everything was bare and black by early afternoon.

7. Eager Beaver

Alan,
    Thats what I am looking for. Do you pretreat your own piles or do you purchase the salt pretreated? Has anyone tried straight liquid as a deicers as far as spray applications? I am trying to get a feel for the product and the application. Being in Michigan we are a little behind the times in these applications and experience with these products as the guys in the East. Cost of course is a facter because of our abundance of calcium chloride that is avaliable in our area. Lots of area's are trying differant products and want to know whats working. Thanks for your comments

8. Mike Nelson

Eager Beaver,
    John's email is MulchTyson@aol.com not sure on caps.Phone is (845)485-4200
    Keep trying,he has not been on in a while.I did tell him you were looking for him.

9. Eager Beaver

Mike,
    Thanks I really appreciate it. I have noticed he has't been on in awhile also. I will try and contact him if he doesn't get ahold of me. I was hoping to get with him this fall when he had the barbeque but was not able to get away that weekend. Thanks Again

10. Mike Nelson

Eager Beaver,

Are you going to Denver?John will be there.

11. Eager Beaver

Mark,
    If we would get some snow here in Michigan (its been a 3 week dry spell) I may be able to pull it off. What are the dates again and does SIMA have any information on where everyone is staying etc. Would like to get a itinerary of events,costs etc.

12. Mike Nelson

Yes,Sima's web site has all the info.June7,8,9

13. Eager Beaver

I'll jump on there and check it out. Have you gone to any before? Was it worth the trip? Sounds like this is the one to go to however I have spent a lot of money running all over the state to differant seminars on Lawn care etc. and knew more than the instructors teaching them however always intrested in staying ahead of the competition.Thats what sets us apart from the rest of the pack.

14. Eager Beaver

Mike,
    Pulled the information off SIMA's site. Will look it over,from what I see it looks like the one to go to. Will get costs for flights etc and maybe see you there. At least its not now and in June. That will help the finance dept. Thanks

15. Mike Nelson

I feel very strongly that this organization is heading in the right direction.This will be my second seminar.
    By joining Sima,we really propelled our business.Many thanks to all,especially John and Peggy.
    I really could write all day on how great it is!

16. Eager Beaver

Thats what Chuck Smith said and thats why we joined. Well going to run before I get writers cramp however thanks for the info and hope more people comment on their results with Magic and or other products that seem to be working well for them. Take Care and THINK SNOW!!

17. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I pretreat my stored salt. But since I have VERY limited storage room, we're only talking 10 tons. I use and auger to both fill and empty the bin, so as I'm filling it I run Magic intoe th material at the intake end of the auger and it mixes as it gets run in. As I use it out I try to keep replacing it to keep somewhere between 5 to 8 ton on hand at any given point. When things get hectic I spray the straight salt in the truck and let the spreader mix it as it augers the material to the spinner. Not the greatest setup but it works. Hopefully I'll have a real shed for next year along with a compact tractor to load out with. At that point I'll put up more material ahead of the season.