1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Jan 11, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

what kind of boots do you guys wear while plowing. i prefer my timberland pros steel toe but when it gets slushy i will wear my cheapo whatever brand, it has 3 inches of rubber from the sole to the laces and has removable insets. these seem to keep my toes warm alittle bit longer but are more cumbersome but they dry faster too

2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

I just bought some Columbia boots. They are supposed to be waterproof and good down to -25 degrees. I used to wear my regular leather work boots I use to mow in but they get wet too fast.

3. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I can't wear steel toe boots in winter. The steel seems to suck up the cold and freeze my feet. I will only wear them in winter when I am running a chainsaw.

I use 10 year old Sorel Dominators. The have rubber bottoms and leather uppers with a removeable liner. I replaced the liners this winter and also added insulated insoles for less than $30 from Campmor. They keep my feet nice and warm.

If you are going to buy new boots, I would recommend Kamiks. That is the Canadian company that bought the factory and equipment that made the original Sorel boots. Columbia bought the Sorel name and continues to manufacture boots with that name. But I feel that the Kamiks are better quality than the Columbia replacements.

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

lacrosse quad comfort steel toes the 9inch ones i wear them from everything to mowing to walking in 6 inchs of water wit hyperdry

5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

This season I am wearing Redwing Loggers with 400 gram of Ultra Thinsulate and Gore-Tex. These are my every day boots. Very good boots but expensive.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya know i lookd at redwings and i just couldnt find one that fit me well and i lookd at danners and ya those wernt working for me either

7. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

thongs here .... lol

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I wear Irish Setter Deer Stalkers

1600 grams of thinsulate, waterproof

9. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

one word chippewa get the arctic 50's only buy american made boots if its not snowing carolina's loggers rest of time best boots ever

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

11. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Sorels...nice and warm

12. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I use to wear Chippewa's Loggers..very good boot.. I just felt like trying out the Redwings..

13. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Decent pair of Sorels. These things have got to be going on 20 years old.
    I put new liners in every couple years and new laces every 1 -2 years.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Steel toe Sorels behind the seat and a light weight hiking boot on the feet..

15. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

I can't do the steel toe boots in the winter either, I wear my Columbia hiking boots. Very comfy and pretty warm too.

16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have a pair of North Face Winter Boots.They are goretex with a slip resistant rubber sole and rated to -40 below. They are the best boot I have ever bought, they are the north face Lifty 400 GTX. And they have a lifetime warranty. They fall apart. I get a new pair. Only cost me $100...

17. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

2 pair on hand for this sidewalk shoveler
    1600 gram, 9" irish setter snow stalkers. for the slow back breaking deep chit
    400 gram, 8" snow runers for the quick snow jobs. And yes ma'am, I run with pride in 'em too.

Socks are what keeps my feet in check either way. Moisture kills, so sometimes I use sock liners with good moisture control socks if we're going past 12 hours.

My son drives the truck, he wears carheart waterproof boots. He should wear slippers cuz he ain't gettin out of the truck {friggen sissy}LOL

18. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

thats about as ass backwards as it gets?....

well i guess if he owns the truck thats understandable

19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I wear Rocky Alphaforce zip boots. Tie em up once and that is it. They are 11" boots and just zip up the side. My feet never get cold or wet and I wear them all season. Only time I ruined a pair was when the water went over the top of the boot and inside. And they are 100% waterproof too. Same kinda boots that some police and swat team wearsprsport

20. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

i just got a pair of Merrell hiking boots that are water proof and have a lot of insulation in them. They are more comfortable then my sneekers!