1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boos should make an atv v-plow!

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Lovethebizz, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Lovethebizz

Lovethebizz Junior Member
    from IOWA

I was thinking on how much money boss could make if they made v-plows for atvs that were hydraulic and everything! THAT WOULD BE VERY NICE, WHO AGREES?wesport

2. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

The only problem I could see with this is 1 huge fact..

When I plow with my ATV 90% of it is sidewalks. Now here's the thing.. with a normal plow it has springs where if u hit a bump or crack in the sidewalk it doesn't harm the blade that much.

I can see you ******* up the V-plow or your 4wheeler.. or maybe even chipping the sidewalk.

But yes.. i do want a Vplow for my quad :)

3. Lovethebizz

Lovethebizz Junior Member
    from IOWA

very very true, never thought of that. Maybe if they could come up with a way to have a "trip" system like they do on one of there models but form it to a v somehow!

4. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Well I've been making V-blades for 4 wheelers this yr. im thinking about trying to figure out electic actuators to pivot the blade (if they work in freezing cold + ice conditions)
    and i use a 2500lb winch for them wesport:bluebounc

on my blades though i dont make them trip just because i do smooth flat driveways, but sidewalks are the big difference there.

Matt

5. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

thats called the western MVP :salute:

6. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

My Cycle Country V-Plow has springs and trips when you hit something. V plows are the only way to do sidewalks. IMO.

7. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Could i ask you a favor lawnscape89, could you pm me a few pics of ur V blade on how its set up to trip, I made mine for 60 bucks, i couldnt quite afford the salty price of 700 for a complete new setup from them. Im cheap i know, but when you got supplies around, you make do!!

thanks,
    Matt

8. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

i'm still waiting for a parts list from you ;)

9. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I don't see how it could possibly work the way its suppose to when its in the V shape..

10. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

If you want one ill pm u a rough copy, i was told by snow kid that it is almost identical to a boss, but ive never looked at a boss so ya!! the hardest part is getting an 18'' round drum, and you cut it in thirds and boom you have enough to make 3 blades!!

Matt

11. RLTimbs

RLTimbs Member

I'm sure I can find a drum somewhere... is it just a regular steel drum?

Also I cannot get pms here yet (made this new name..) but can you email me it?

rltimbs@comcast.net

Where it mounts under your quad.. are those arms from another plow? Looks to me like you had an old plow and just cut the blade off and used the arms from that

12. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

On my Blade this year I put this on,

http://www.mibarproducts.com

it was pricy but now have down pressure for back dragging with the blade.

website of the Actuators is

http://www.warnerelectric.com/newproducts.asp?category=actuators

when I'm out on the ATV later today I'll get the actual model number of the cylinder and such has a 10" stroke. but they make longer ones and ones that can withstand more force.
    give's you a starting point
    for what it's worth.

I have had no problems so far with my set up.

Though this is the first year using it and most things seem to work great when they are new.

Pic is in the ATV Plow with Pics thread.
    sublime out.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  13. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

bottom line is the people plowing with atv are kids . Kids aint going 2 spend 3grand for a plow.

14. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Here's the V-Plow Manual with pics of the parts breakdown: http://www.cyclecountry.com/Manuals/10-xxxx/10-0040.pdf

I'm not a kid, but I'm not spending $3k on a plow for my ATV, either. I think this one is in the $4-500 range. I will say the it is weak in the cutting edge and the position bars (which both can be beefed up at your local machine shop). Other than that, it's perfect for slicing right down the middle of sidewalks.

15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Are you kidding me? I'm 39 and have been plowing with an atv doing City sidewalks for 4 years. I make $200 an hour for 6 hours doing sidewalks! Every major snow contractor in the town has a quad they use to plow sidewalks.

You are right however that I would not spend $3K on a plow for my quad. BOSS does make a plow for UTV's however. Not sure of the name or the price, but I have seen it at my local atv/snowmobile/boat/jetski dealer.

I designed an air operated V-plow last year. It used air cylinders for the wings and for lift. It had a 12V air compressor, 2 gallon tank and a car battery. There were switches on the left handle bar to control it. I kept the winch for a back up. The system cost me about $500 or $600 to build. I had to eliminate the trip edge because of where I mounted the wing cylinders. I've been too busy this year to build one for my lastest sidewalk plower.

16. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Im goin to be 19 in march and there is no way that i am a kid, just because i plow with an atv.. I mean i bust a$$ to make a living and go to school full time in the evenings. I plow just because its fun, and its a start, you will never know where a little bit of hard work will get you in life.

Atv's to me are heck of alot easier getting into smaller/tight places than trucks are. they may be cold but it still brings in some spare money in the end!

possibility, that the blades that i make in my welding shop on my spare time for atv's could eventually bring me millions, just like whoever created the name brand plows for trucks.

Matt

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  17. sublime68charge

checking in on this thread and being I'm also 32 years young. no longer a kid either.

But my ATV with plow goes Places that a truck won't, Sidewalks and Path's through the yard to side doors of House's and Garage's ETC.

yes it's cold but you dress warm your fine.or hop off and shovel by hand for 5 minutes and your warmed right back up LOL

Just like riding on a snowmobile you don't due that when its sunny and 65? more like dark and 20

ok I'll stop with my ramble.

sublime out.

18. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

im not knocking anybody for makeing a buck i hope we all make a mill. Just stating a fact that you cant produce a quality plow for an atv at low price tag........

19. sublime68charge

so your saying that the ATV plows out there now are Junk? Moose, Cycle Country, Warn, you can get any of these for around $400.00 give or take?

maybe you mean you can't produce and finger tip control Up/Down Left/Right Plow at a low price. for around $1200.00 you can put one toghther

Moose Plow $400.00 ebay
    www.mibar.com Power Lift system, Up/Down with Down pressure for backdragging,
    or the Winch of your chocie via Warn, $400.00
    and then for Power Angle left right,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOOS...QsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
    I don't have this kit yet but it is on my list to add for the next year. $400.00

there ya go $1200.00 total and woudl be a pretty nice set up.or
    go to http://www.blackline.us/
    and spend it all in 1 place and get it all together.

but you can start off with your first year of just the Plow and upgrade as you have money for it. but you have to have either a Manual lift handle and Manual angle which means theres operator effort involved and not just pushing a button. but you have to turn the handle bars and push the throttle on the ATV also.

I guess I want to know what a Low Price is?

Ok,

I'm out

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hydraulic V plow on a ATV, yeah that would be good. How much ballast would you need to get the rear tires back on the ground? Wouldn't be able to steer. Think you wear front end parts on trucks fast, you'd destroy the ATV.

Great concept, just isn't feasible IMO. Unless you use Quadplowers setup.