1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boone, NC?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AbsoluteZzZero, Oct 18, 2005.

1. AbsoluteZzZero

AbsoluteZzZero Junior Member

My family is contemplating moving to Boone, NC to be closer to family and we really like the area. My dad and I have recently started a Lawn Care business and we're pretty sure we can do the same thing in Boone as well as doing snowplowing.

So I was wondering if any of you know what kind of market there is in in Boone. I read something that said the average snowfall is around 55", so I would think thats more than enough to plow! But Im im a n00b, so I don't know.

Thanks, Drew
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. AbsoluteZzZero

This says 40". I thought that same site said 56" a few days ago.:confused:
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

They get snow. A couple people I work with went to college out there and they said it snowed "a lot" whatever that might mean. Hey, if I am seriously thinking about starting a plow service in Raleigh NC, then it makes just as much sense if not more to do it in Boone. Go for it!
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

40" is not that much snow if you average that across the months that it actually can snow....might not be worth the investiment... especially if it melts off...
  6. AbsoluteZzZero

Could someone give me a rough estimate of how much one could make in a season? With 2-3" triggers and assuming 40" average. I know it would be a VERY rough estimate since a lot goes into the figuring, but I don't need anything precise.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I would call the chamber of commerce and ask if there are any companies opperating a snow plowing business, and look up the local paper and see if anyone advertises for one. If the answer is yes, then bets are if you already own the equipment go for it, in no than I wouldn't bother. At 3000'elevation if it does snow it should stick around.
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

There isn't an ill wind that doesn't blow well for others.

Less snow can also be a blessing in disguise. My friend lives in Kentucky and runs a small lawn business. They have a few plows aswell as attachments for mowers, etc... aswell as sweepers. Since snow removal companies are far and few they are able to charge quite a bit more money when it does snow. So in return, they end up doing well without high investments in equipment and labour. You just have to research in how much and what equipment to go with. Clearly you don't side wings, etc... however you would need more things like blades that go on mowers, salters, etc... Just my 2 cents
  9. Mick

from Maine

I would check to make sure. The site I posted (Weatherbase) is for Boone specifically, is a record of the last 30 years and, in my opinion, is trustworthy (at least I've been using it for several years). The site you posted is for the whole Northwest NC and is an average from something called "Ray's Weather Service". And it only shows two months with any significant snowfall - 11" and 10" for Jan and Feb - likely not enough at any one time worth fooling with. At least take GRN MTN's advice about the Chamber of Commerce and the newpaper.
  10. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Wow! 16.6 average for Wash. DC

Sure am glad I didn't look at this before.

I would have never bought the equipment or pushed 5 times last year.

Then again, we paid off our equipment purchases by signing Seasonal Contracts and made a few dollars spreading salt.

Thanks for the info guys.
  11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Boone is smack dab in the middle of the Applacian mountains and is up almost 4,000'. They get plenty of snow 55" sounded just about right when I first read it. The lower averages could be for areas nearby but lower in elevation. If your above 30 N latitude you can count on plowable snow at 3800'.

New York City averages less then Boone, NC, its well worth having a plow there. The boon area and Western North Carolina have been in the news many times in the past few years due to big snow events. I have family in south central virginia, right around I-81 so more west central and lower in elevation then Boone by about 2,000'. They have plowable snow at least once a winter and amouts over a foot are not un herd of, once every few years they get as much as 15" from one storm.

I have access to some good climate databases at school, Ill see what kind of a history I can find for Boone, NC.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  12. cja1987

Not trying to argue but NYC averages 23" per year, I guess its time for all the guys on long Island and New Jersey to sell their plows to people further north???

Average is just the mean of extreems, it can often be ALOT more especially
    at high elevations like Boone, NC.

Again, I mean that in a nice way even if it sounds like iam being a jerk, just trying to make the point.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  13. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I would think you would also do quite a bit of salting so make sure to get a nice v-box.
  14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

But the difference in NYC is the average temperature, and simple the fact that there are very few areas the do not need snow to be removed when it snows (i.e. a ton of streets and sidewalks)... and 4" snow fall will dissapear faster the more south you go....
  15. Mick

from Maine

I really wouldn't put much trust in that weather site you referenced. I checked it out and was not impressed at all: http://raysweather.com/

Frozen001 was right with considering the temperature, which the average low for Jan is 38F.

But, bottom line is - do what you want to do. If you think it'll work - go for it.
  16. cja1987

Everything you just said is wrong no offence. We will start by debunking the temperature myth and then do the "city factor" you talked about ie streets, side walks, buildings then well talk about latitude and elevation and why snow wont always melt faster at lower latitudes.

Your right there is a difference in average tempertatue between NYC and Boone, NC, Boone is COLDER!!!

Lets call a typical plow season November 1 to March 31st heres the averages for the two cities.

NOVEMBER Average High/low Average Temp*
    Boone, NC 52/30, 41
    NYC 54/41, 47.5

DECEMBER Average High/low Average Temp*
    Boone, NC 44/22, 32
    NYC 44/32, 38

JANUARY Average High/low Average Temp*
    Boone, NC 39/20, 29.5
    NYC 39/26, 32.5

FEBUARY Average High/Low Average Temp*
    Boone, NC 43/22, 32.5
    NYC 42/29, 35.5

MARCH Average High/low Average Temp*
    Boone, NC 50/29, 39.5
    NYC 50/35, 42.5

High and low temp for each month are separated by a slash, after those two numbers the next number is average for the month. Hard to read though, it all lined up nicely when I typed it in to the box to post but after posting to the site, it throws it off and I tried but cant get them to space out into nice even colums. Sorry.

Average Temperature During Boone Plow Season= 34.9
    Average Temperature During NYC Plow Season= 39.2

*Average Temperature for a month is calculated by adding the average high to the average low for the month and divide by 2.

**Average Temperature during plow season is calculated by adding all the monthly averages for each city and dividing by 5.

Data is from weather.com, they are 30 year averages from 1971-2001 I believe the period is currently. Dont believe me check it out for your sealves, type in the two cities and then click "averages and records".

As you can see Boone is COLDER by 3 degrees then NYC during plow season. Perceptions are perceptions and most peoples are false when it comes to geography and the weather.

Boone is colder and UP 3,800' and well Inland which subjects the location to even more extreme weather then NYC. NYC is at sea level or a few feet above, and its right on the ocean near warm currents keeping things much warmer. The Buildings and concrete in such a huge city retain the heat, this combined with its proximity to the ocean makes any snow that actually can accumlate in NYC melt MUCH faster it then it would in Boone, NC even if we assumed that average temps were equal but we have proven that Boone is colder.

If anyone needs more explaination, Ill be glad to give more.

My comments were made knowing full well the climate of Boone unlike others and I continue to say "go for it" absolutely plow if your moving to Boone. People plow in warmer places with less snowfall and make money at it.

Good Luck and enjoy all that snow you will be getting in Boone!!!
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  17. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

So maybe I was incorrect about the temperatures... But you must also account for the lack of significant accumulation to need a plow...How often does N.C. get a "snowstorm"... NYC will get at least one to two snow storms with a significant amount of snow fall...

Just seems like too much trouble for me for the 7 - 10 times a year you would possible need to plow...

The maximum possible could be 14 times(using 2" triggers)

November average snow fall: 2.7"... 1 plow
    December average snow fall: 6.5"... 3 times
    January average snow fall: 11"... 5 times
    February average snow fall: 10"... 5 times
    March average snow fall: 7"... 3 times

But this would assume each snow fall yields 2" of snow.... Take January there could easily be 11 non consecutive days where you get 1" on snow... that means no plowing...
  18. cja1987

Your reasonioning is correct in terms of average snowfall. Rarely is it ever average though, you cant take averages literally. Using average snowfall is a moot point if your saying its worth it in NYC but not in Boone, NC, because boon gets more then double the amount of snow.

To answer the area I made bold in your post, what would keep "significant accumlation" from occuring in Boone??? Considering they average more snow then NYC, one would reason that they must get some significant snowfall to account for a more then double average snowfall right or am I missing something. As for how often N. Carolina will actually "get a snow storm", I suggest you take a look at a good map. There is alot more to the state then the common person realizes and it has many more "climate zones" then the common person realizes. There is more to North Carolina then the outerbanks, Raleigh, Charlotte,etc. Those are the areas you hear about but they are SIGNIFICANYLY different from Boone weatherwise. Someone from north carolina (banksy) has told you guys this and you still dont listen. When NYC gets a large dumping of snow, usually a storm moving up the eastern seabord combines with another system thats feeding in moisture from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. So the storms are pahsing or coming togather around the carolinas and racing northward with rapid intensification. This brings significant precip all along the eastern sea board, rain in most areas of the mid atlantic and south east but go west into the applacians almost 4,000 high (BOONE) your likely to be cold enough for all that precip to fall as snow. The mountains also enhance snow totals (orographic lifting) which can have the same effect as a major noreaster if not an even greater effect. Watch the weather closely this snow season and when they show the radar image of a storm moving up the eastern seaboard, take a look at the appalacian mountains and see what color the rader is!! You will see white in the mountians such as Boone. So sure Boone, NC gets as many if not more big events a year then NYC. You dont hear much about these areas because they are not well populated and represent a very small portion of North Carolina. There is no argument, Boone gets more snow and on average is colder.

I know the first thing you think of when you hear North Carolina is "hot and humid summers, mild winters" but its not true for the entire state. The mountainous areas to the west are quite rural so you hear little about them. There are places in North Carolina that average over 80" of snow per year. Its all about elevation, look at a map!!!

That the entire state of N Carolina gets little snow is a FALSE perception that leads to such false information being spread to the point that hes being told not to even bother plowing in a snowy region.

If you still doubt that Boone gets more snow then NYC and its more worth having a plow in Boone, I will explain further.
  19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I seem to have stuck a nerve with you.... and considering NEITHER of us are from around there, maybe we should both stop speculating n weather Boone, NC gets enough snow or not. I'll stick to knowing that were I live we are typically one of the snowiest places in the NY...

You and I can sit here and argue over weather Boone, NC get any snow forever, and fact is neither of us really knows...
  20. cja1987

You did not strike any nerve with me, Iam not upset with you at all. I know by looking at the data who gets more snow and where its more worthwhile to be plowing. Its not difficult. You are speculating and your are ignorant of the situation, I am not, I know because I pay close attention to weather all over the country especially around snowstorms. Its not hard to look at reports from past years and make a decision on weather plowing is necessary. The data is there for peoples use, its not 1492 when you would have to live there to know whats happening somewhere. All you need to do is watch the weather or read some weater sites next time a winterstorm moves up the east coast. Youll see a narrow strip of the Carolinas that will always get as much snow or more snow then the big cities from NY-South. Its not speculation, its something that I know to be FACT. All the info is avilable, take a look at it if you wish. This is a subject area I know quite a bit about so please dont assume that Iam ignorant of the situation. Iam sure there are plenty of things that you know much more about then I do, so next time I make a statement that you know to be false, let me know and by all means correct me, if you back it up like I did, I wont argue and insist that iam right I will say "oh I did not know that thanks for the info"... thats how we learn. Trust me on this one though because I know.

I just dont want the guy making decisions based on inaccurate information. PLEASE UNDERSTAND that it is nothing personal, iam just trying to help someone since it is something I know a bit about since Meteorology is my major in school.