1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bonehead move destroyed my truck.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Neige, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

In our 50 years, this one goes to the top of the list. Driver took the truck out and did not notice the dumper was engaged. He went almost a km before he got to an overpass. Needless to say the overpass won. This was 2 hous into a 10 inch storm we were working. :cry::cry::realmad:
    PS the driver was fine, walked away with no injuries.

10 wheeler 001.jpg

10 wheeler 002.jpg

10 wheeler 004.jpg
  2. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Ohh my!! Thats stinks, glad he was ok!!
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Sorry to hear this....

So it's a total write off? Can't tell from the pics, frame bent?
  4. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Wow that sucks, although it very well could have ended a lot worse! Glad to hear he was OK! I'll bet he needed a new pair of pants after that. I'm willing to bet he'll triple check the dump from now on.
  5. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

That sucks, sorry to hear about your truck.
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

damn man..... that blows....
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ouch, sorry to hear and see that Paul.

Hope your insurance doesn't jack you around.

PS This post is not meant to be derogatory towards anyone named Jack, it is only a term that I used to imply getting screwed by his insurance company.
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

that sucks big time, i am not sure i would keep someone employeed after something like that!!! acidents happen, but sometimes a accident could have been TOO serious and hurt to many or be to costly to just be let off with a warning,
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Happened to a friend of my dad's about 9 years ago. He took out the 407 overpass sign. He's been a trucker his whole life and was very responsible. I'd be a little more worried about the bridge then the truck. Glad no one was hurt also.
  10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Ouch !!!!!!

Sorry to see that Paul. Glad to hear nobody was hurt.
  11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not so sure I like the new "PC" Oomkes yet! :(

Me too. This is an unfortunate thaing that happens around here on occasion, whether it be a dump, equipment on trailer, whateever...... Usually the bricge inspection is substantial, probably even worse since that terrible failure in MN a few years ago. I'm sorry that you have to go thru something like this Paul. Best of luck.

BTW, was the PTO engaged & the box creeped up on it's own do to the RPM or what?
  12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well that sucks...didn't't your pto have a light showing that it was engaged, and most importantly why was it left engaged? I had dump trucks (tri's,short doubles, and tandem's) over the last 12 years so I know where your coming from, good luck.
  13. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

Is that a Sh*t stain on the drivers seat??
  14. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Well that should buff right out lol
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That realy sucks. Is the frame bent?
  16. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

A garbage truck with front forks did the same here a couple of years ago, died instantly when the pedestrian overpass crushed him and the cab. A friend had the box on his tandem do the same thing this year, he noticed it going up pretty quickly and couldn't stop it. Moisture had collected in the air over hydraulic controls and froze. The expanding ice put pressure on the valve and it started to lift. Had to drain the lift cylinder to lower it. He had followed all inspections and protocols. They now drain their air tanks more frequently and allow the trucks (especially the cabs) to warm up longer before they leave the yard.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, that is too bad. Easy to say now, but we should check our mirrors all the time, especially when getting underway. I agree the bridge is a concern.

This bridge is so low, and gets hit so often, they have a beam in front of the bridge to protect the bridge from impact.

18. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

That sucks.
  19. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Wow, It acually broke the top of the lift cylinder off. Almost all the trucks I have driven have 2 levers...one for the PTO and the other to lower and raise the body. Had to have both engaged and not notice??
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  20. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

thay would not work for me anymore.

cant tell the box is going up comeon man.

i have my own dump. and i KNOW When its going up or down.

then the town needs to modify that road .

we had a bridge like this in my area. the got tired of it. thay took and dug the road down and sured up the foundations good. now its a 13'6" underpass with a little room to spare.

13 trucks dead in 13 months is un real. never should have that many in a life time. por signage / warnings / police-dot support tickets given out / lack of controle.