1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BONDO on moldboard?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Elite Property Services, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Just curious I am rehabbing my western unimount I had heard some guys using bondo to fill in any imperfections on mold board is this an option? Any good or bad experiences?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I doubt that it would stay, heat up the dents and beat them back as close as you can and call it good.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't use it unless it was just laying on a skim coat to try and fill in rust pits. Bondo doesn't like the cold, then the flexing and impacts a plow takes its bound to start cracking.

4. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

doesnt sound like a good idea think a fiberglass mess (like bondo) would be better if anything

5. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I was just curious about the rust pitting areas which are very prevelant the plow is very straight and not beat up but was trying to figure out a way to smooth those areas out so I can get a better final product.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sand blasting is prob. your best bet. Depending how bad it is (the rust) your still going to have pits. Try some very thin skim coats, I wouldn't put more than a couple very thin ones on. It will help but might not be perfectly smooth. Then prime with a good etching primer. My salt spreader was pretty bad last year so I decided to have it sand blasted this year and its still very pitted looking in areas. I put a few coats of etching primer on it and its definitely smoother now but still doesn't look like a brand new unit....but its a well used spreader,lol

7. ratoneton

ratoneton Junior Member

bondo

i sandblast and paint my plow with farm implament paint every other year it levels out as it dries and last a couple years

8. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

forgot another good thing to use is por 15 I used it on my plow it is suppose to be awesome form what I hear. First ahnd people that use it maybe try that also then you dont have to get it down to bear metal but that wont make it smooth meant for going over rust check into it.

9. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

POR, oh wow I haven't heard of that in a while, I used to do body work on buses, we used por on all black areas, The best thing I have ever used. The sayings right POR, it takes time, where gloves causes it takes a long time to come off.

10. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

lol yea I found that out the hard way had it on my elbow (dont ask how it got there) for probably a week but still good stuff and make sure you use all of the can or seal it properly otherwise you will never be able to open it again

11. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

bondo might not be the best bet, but glaze would be fine. glaze is put on alot thinner, like filling slight rust pits or finishing the last of that hammered out dent. with a good primer and proper prep, glaze should hold up very well and do exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Use the silver POR 15- 2 or 3 coats will smooth out the pits,

13. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I used bondo for a skim coat on a few areas, we will see how it holds up. I think it will last as I am gentle with my equipment. If it doesn't hold up well, I am gonna put a lexan skin on the front anyhow.

14. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

What you want to use for rust pits is final glaze putty, not actual bondo. It is lighter and stickier than bondo and not as thick. Either that or a high build primer.

15. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

its like de ja vu....all over again :D

16. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

its like de ja vu all over again....all over again...all over again....lol

17. chris30

chris30 Junior Member

plastic repair

i do a lot of plastic repairs and i feel that there lot plastic repair materials along w/ plastic welders that out there that would be a better long term repair than bondo
    there is a material out there that is made by duramix no# is 4747 most bodyshops can get this material and can maybe let you use spec. caulk gun that works great.

18. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

ooopss my fault for the deja vu. That's what you get for reading boards at 4am!!!! At my body shop we use the 3m duramix products mostly for panel bonding and seam sealing... might be kinda hard to work with for this type of application as it is very tacky and hardens quickly. The final glaze putty stays pliable longer and spreads better. We use it on our flatbed rails when we sandblast and repaint them and it hold up fine, and believe me flatbeds take abuse.

19. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

dejavu is no matter...ur right...that matters :D