1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bolts on Meyer plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dudempdude, Oct 1, 2009.

1. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

I have recently purchased a Meyer ST 7.5 plow. It's in good shape, but I wanted to give it a paint job. I took it apart, sanded, cleaned, primed and painted - no problem. During disassembly, I cut some of the old, worn bolts off. I have purchased new nuts and bolts at Tractor Supply... so they are not Meyer bolts. The new nuts do not have the nylon insert. My question is how tight are the bolts supposed to be?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go get "nylock" nuts and use them.
    Or at least use lock washers and tighten them as tight as you can

3. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

What grade bolt did you

buy? The number of lines on the head of the bolt will tell you.

0 lines= Gd. 2

3 lines= Gd. 5

6 lines= Gd. 8

Make sure the nuts you purchased are of the same strength, if not, you are waisting your time. If you intend to use a locknut which is probably a good idea, be sure it also is the same grade as the bolt. Use a little Blue loc-tite, torque it to specs. you will be fine. Some plow manufacturers only specify Grade 5, if that is the case use what they specify as often the bolt is an engineered part of the assembly.

4. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks dudes for the reply. I bought Grade 8 bolts but I did not get a locking washer or locking nut. Gd8boltman - do you happen to know the torque specs?
    Thanks again!

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

6. dudempdude

dudempdude Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks to all!