1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bolting down dump body

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ticki2, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Anyone bolt down there dump body for winter spreader use ?

2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

What for ?:dizzy: I always put mine up a little for hosing out after a storm....

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lock out

hardly any body does but it's not a bad idea to do !some of the older dump manufacturer's had a lock out device to either hydraulically or mechanically lock the body down .i have seen many salt spreader's bent if it was a receiver mount ,and the spinner chute assembly ripped off when they hit the raise control by mistake. what kind of dump body and hydraulic's do you have ?

4. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Basically it's just to tie down the dump body to the frame for stability . What I have is a dually with a flatbed dump , electric over hydraulic.

5. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Wicked500R ,
    So you have a 2500 with a dump body ?

6. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Bolt a piece of chain to the truck frame and dump frame than use a chain binder to tighten it up. Much faster to remove than bolts if you want to tip the body.

7. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Good idea , thanks . Still wondering about the pros and cons and if anyone does this.

8. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Who says the the 2500 in my sig is the only truck I run ?, Wiseguy... I have an 05' F450 Superduty dump at work

9. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Just checkin' LOL

10. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

On my 3500 with a 12ft stake dump with a v box, I run a ratchet strap over the bed at the headache rack to the frame of the truck to keep it from rocking when loaded with salt. It really makes a difference. When I need to put the bed up it as easy as opening the ratchet up. I use an old hunk of rubber to protect the strap over the corners of the bed. That said, on my other 3500 with an 8ft mason dump with a v box in it, I don't need the strap, it doesn't rock even when loaded. Hope this all makes sense.