1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bolt Up?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bummerkit, Jul 29, 2001.

1. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

i have a 79 chev K30 with a 400 small block, th400 trans, and 205 t-case, would a 350 bolt right up? i have a 350 in my garage that i could use. i am going to pull the 400sb out to performance rebuild in a college class i am taking.

2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

bolt up

The 400 block is nothing but a bored out 350 block. There are smaller cooling jackets in the block to raise the cubes over a 350 block.

bolt up is no problem at all.

3. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Make sure you use the proper flexplate and harmonic balancer.The 400 is externally balanced.Other than those 2 things everything else will interchange.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The harmonic balancer,and flexplate-thats it.The 400 is a little more than a punched 350.A 400 bore and a 350 stroke gives you a 376Cu in.The 3.76" stroke give you the 400Cu in.The 350 only has a 3.48" stroke.

5. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

John is correct on all of his points regarding the differences between the 350 c.i.d. and 400 c.i.d. small block Chevrolets.

Another important difference is the size of the main bearings. The 400 c.i.d. uses a much larger diameter main bearing, necessitating much grinding if you try to use a 400 crank in a 350 (or smaller c.i.d.) block, although it can be done. This will give you a 383 c.i.d. engine with gobs of torque.

And Bummer: good luck with your school work! I truly believe that one can never get enough education....

DJS

6. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I think he just wanted to know if things would bolt up like the tranny,exhaust,maybe intake,starter,motor mount,ect..for a perfromance rebuild for a truck just stick a beter cam and performance intake and carb and headers on it.The 400's are torque monsters of the small blocks.used to have a 81 Monte carlo with a 400 in it.car ran 10.70's in the quarter cranking 7600 rpms.man i wish i still had that car.But i sure dont miss changeing trannys,drive shafts and rear ends.Never even had a hicup with that motor but every thing behind it broke.built that car just before i turned 19 when i got my first real job.Feared by every other hotrodder,able to pick up chicks easily and tickets from the cops.Hated by the neighbors from the 3 inch exhaust.Ahh the ole trip down memory lane man old age is starting to suck.

7. bummerkit

bummerkit Member

thanks for all the info guys that really helps.