1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bodylifts~ a plus for plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnnyU, Dec 9, 2002.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I posted in an old thread in gen snowplowing, but thought i might have better luck starting a new thread in the truck forums. Im thinking a bout adding a body lift to my truck, I want it to sit up higher and dont have the $$ to spend on a good suspension lift.
    What im wondering is will i run into any real problems by doing this? can i make up a lower fan shoud to help with cooling or would i need an elec. fan? Or would anything i do actually help?
    another reason i was thinking this: doesnt raise up the chassis, just the body, plow fram will remain close to where it is now. The headlights stick up so far on the western unimounts, they are in sort of a blind spot, if i could lower then in relation to the body (not to the plow) it might help with the blind spots.

I do some offroading on the summer, mostly on jobsites, or at the farm, extremely light stuff, so im only going to go with some 33x12.50s

What do you think? Leave it or lift it? From strictly a plowing issue, will it negatively effect me? Thanks

2. dozer

dozer Junior Member

I run 3 inches of body lift and 4 inches of suspension lift on my 85 3/4 ton chevy. truck was built before I decided to plow with it,had to do some time consuming mods because of suspension lift to fit plow on but it'll work till I can upgrade both of them. Plows fine,notice a few "new" blind spots but get used to them. Brother run a mid 80's dodge with 3 inch body lift and loves the extra height,would recomend using taller corner sticks on plow. I run a electric fan on mine because I use a four row radiator and I didn't want to make a shroud.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Where do the new blind spots come from? just from being higher?

Ive got the western sticks with flags, find the flags annoying and they break a lot, so im going to pick up some of the cheapo reflective sticks when these break.

4. dozer

dozer Junior Member

When you raise your truck up you lose some depth perception around the truck,mailboxes tend to "hide" easier,things just seem closer than they really are. Maybe it's just cause i have seven inches + 35 in treads. My brother says his lift doesn't bug him,except when pulling maintenance on moter.

5. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

I have a 3" body lift on my '88 3/4 ton and it works well for me. With the body lift I don't have to run the plow lights to see at night but they are operational if I need more light anyway. I did install an electric fan and run it off a switch in the cab. Comes in handy during the summer and during long hours of plowing to keep the engine temp down. I don't care for a suspension lift for plow trucks since it changes the angle of the plow but I have seen it done many times.

6. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

the body lift should raise your radiator height alowing more cold air to pass through The extra fan idea would be nice too. there are other options out there too. there are companys out there that make heavy duty springs which is what you want for a work truck these could raise your vehicle 1" to 2" and not effect the plow angle much at all and the front end of your truck wouldn't sag as much w/ the plow to level off the back you could use blocks or add aleafs. Good Luck whatever you do.

7. dozer

dozer Junior Member

The suspension was on my truck before it became a plow truck, I don't like it on but too much work to changeit now.Plans are in works to upgrade to late 90's truck with new v-plow this summer. will put a 2 inch body on but no suspension lift. I redid my mounting brackets to keep my angle correct and also to be able to take off to regain ground clearence.