1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Body Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 73 K20, Sep 27, 2001.

1. 73 K20

73 K20 Junior Member
    from Alaska

I bought a '73 K20 for $400.00 about four years ago. The body was shot and about the same time I came across an '82 C30 Silverado cab and front clip for cheap. I think I paid $250 for the cab and $200 for the front clip with the wiring harness. I also put an '82 GMC bed on it which was free. I now have $4000.00 into the truck and would lucky to get $2000.00 if I sold it today. The cab is getting rusty corners and the hood has flown up on me on the highway. As a result, the hood does not line up right and I had to remove the panel between the hood and the windshield. I know the older hoods go right up to the window (no panel between) and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the '73-'80 front clip and hood will match up well with the '82 cab. I've been considering changing it back to the old look if it's possible. Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I did that with an '81 cab on my '75 GMC.

Everything went together fine, except for the top fender bolt on either side (the one you can access when the hood is up) which ended up about 1/2 a hole out. Only other thing you'll have is the extra holes where that panel at the base of the windshield used to attach.

This was a few years ago, so there may have been the odd little "idiot" problem that came up during the swap, but it's not that bad a task. Back then I didn't have a shop, so I did the job outdoors on a summer weekend with the help of some friends and started Saturday morning, had the truck driveable by Sunday night. At the same time I swapped the cab, I put on new fenders & hood, as well as all new cab cushions.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2001