1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Body or Drivetrain?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by milwaukeevtwin, Nov 16, 2009.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I have an 89 chevy 3/4 ton that is four wheel drive. The body has seen better days and the underneath is full of rust. I also have a 93 chevy that is two wheel drive. This truck is in great shape with no rust including the underneath. My question is, Would it be easier to swap out the bodies or change over all the four wheel drive components to the two wheel drive truck. Another thing is the four wheel drive truck does not have over drive and the two wheel truck does. Could i just change tails on the trans?I have been thinking about this for a while and could use some input.
    Thanks, Ron

2. chp

chp Junior Member

The frames are different so swaping 4X4 drivetrain over would be ALOT of work. The entire front suspension is completley different. Plus there is no easy way to hang the front diff. It is much simpler to change bodies . With a litte help You could probably swap every thing over in a long weekend.

3. milwaukeevtwin

truck

Can i pull the cab with the front clip all in one? That way i do not have to line all the fenders up and come up with the proper gaps. Is this possible? Then i could just pick the bed up and install.:dizzy:
    Thanks, Ron

4. chp

chp Junior Member

Not a good idea to try to swap the cab with the front clip in place core support weighs enough to bend the fenders if you are not careful. There is only a couple of places to worry about with your shims. At the top of the fenders and at the core support rubbers.

5. milwaukeevtwin

swap

Sounds like i will pull it in three sections. Thanks, for the help.

6. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i do body work, pull it in sections. make sure you keep the passenger side sim and driver side sims in thhe same spot or you body lines won't line up!

7. milwaukeevtwin

truck

Thanks, I will have to remember that. I appreciate the help.

8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

no problem just put em zipblock bags easiest way and you wont forget.