1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Body Lift

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by farmerkev, Aug 5, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Just ordered my 3" BL kit from summit. Should arrive on Friday, hopefully.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Now comes the expensive part new 33" tires :cool:

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Not the worse, he could need 38's or 40's lol.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your gonna install a 3" body lift on a 2500 2WD Kev? Going for the pre-runner look? What are you planning to fix the factory "nose down" stance?

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

33s on the front and 31's on the rear. Should level it off. :cool:

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I dont know, the front sits real low, so I did hope this would pick it up, but its also picking up the rear the same level. What about running the lift blocks through a belt sander?:confused::dizzy::eek:;)

7. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I hope after I finish my welding class, or atleast get enough experience with metal, I could replace the rear blocks with some c channel stock. Possibly less than 3" thick.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Raking the body on the chassis Kev would be a recipe for disaster to say the least. And look very cobbled at best.

Why not do it the right way and install a set of 2" lift coils or at least a set of 2" coils spacers in the front? There's off road companies out there that make both for 88-98 GM 2WD trucks. Haven't checked lately but Dick Cepek and Procomp both had 2" lift coils...although they may actually be softer than your stock coils since your is 3/4 ton. I know Daystar makes 2" coil spacers for all the GM 2WD stuff.

A much better alternative by far... :nod:

9. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Are you saying a better alternitive to the lift, or messing with the lift block sizes?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your just looking to level it up- use the coils or coil spacers.

If you want it taller all around AND level- use the coils or coil spacers AND the body lift together.

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Ok, I gave it a try a while back, and we got nowhere. I am going to have a go at it again. I found an old graduate from my HS on another forum who has installed a few lifts. He has more tools than me and more experience, hes willing to help. I just dont know if I want to do it now or in the spring. Any advice on handling? I mean how big of a difference will a truck with 3" lift be in the winter compared to a truck without a 3" lift?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since its a relatively stiffly sprung 3/4 ton, the body lift wont affect the handling much or introduce excessive body lean...so don't expect a great deal of change in those areas. But, when you may notice it is when you add a rather heavy load in the bed. Since this weight will be higher due to the increased center of gravity.

The body lift by itself wont help a bit in the snow unless you also add taller tires as an attempt to gain ground clearance. Ground clearance and contact pressure are the keys to a truck that will just go in the snow, and one that will go virtually anywhere in the snow.