1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat wont start?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by DaySpring Services, Jan 9, 2010.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I used my Bobcat S220 for about an hour yesterday of blowing. Went to start it up today and the starter will not turn. I can hear the solenoid click when I turn the key but that's all I get. Lights, heater blower turn of so I know it's not the battery which was replaced last year. I also Tried to jump it with the same result. Is it possible that the starter or something is frozen? Temps are in the low teens, single digits over night.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

starter could just be worn out, or sometimes they get a little frost on them, take a hammer, or a metal bar, and bang on the starter housing, hit it firm but dont try to bust it off, then try starting it

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

How many hours are on the machine?
    Robert

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

make sure theres gas in it :laughing:

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That will help the starter turn? :rolleyes:

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Cut the guy some slack, he just paid 399.00 for a fuel filter....

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:laughing:

8. ajslands

that icluded labor and cleaning of inectors and a bottle of fuel addative

9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

hahah and didnt you pay 350$ for a cement block for salt bins?

10. ajslands

nope my contractor did, i think there called premade retainer wall blocks or something like that, so they were freshly made, but he paid more than 350, idk the exact number but he wanted his wall to last a long time and those blocks still look like new

11. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

im just screwing with ya man, up here the blocks are made out of leftover concrete in the trucks. and they all have air in them to last, 60$-100$ each up here. I think your boss got fooled now back to the bobcat

12. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

OH lets not start on the concrete blocks again and this kid making random comments. a 220 does not run on gas.... but it does on diesel.

now for an anwser to your question

check the fuse block for bad fuses. follow your battery connections to the starter or some times there is a starter solenoid which could be clicking. you can jump the solenoid with 2 screwdrivers make sure you hold the handles and touch the metal to eachother. at this time have some one start the machine. leave it run and get a new solenoid

battery jump box

or battery charger due to cold temps

13. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

brought the torpedo heater out today and thawed it out a bit. Fired right up after 5 minutes. Glad it was a easy and free fix!