1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat w/tracks or no tracks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Westernhd, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Westernhd

Westernhd Junior Member

Looking into buying a newer machine debating on a track setup or a wheel machine. I have used track machines for grading and dirt work and they work great but never used one for snow, do the tracks get packed with snow and run off the guides,is traction decent in snow?

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Been discussed quite a bit already, do a search and you'll find out that tires are better in snow for most machines. Some swear by polar tracks or asv machines which are ok in snow.

3. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

2 or 3 posts below this one are about tracks.

4. wisupra

wisupra Junior Member

I run a bobcat t190 with regular tracks and its horrible on packed snow or ice. also has a very ruff ride compared to a tire machine.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you want a track machine pay the money for a Cat. They outperform every other machine on factory tracks and they are the most comfortable riding machine out there. Ours goes great in the snow and it's on factory tracks with no studs. It's also for sale, just saying.

6. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

Stick with a tired machine if your going to be using for snow mostly. I have a 2012 John Deere 323D with full cab and it is a beast in the dirt but slides alot in the snow and ice my last tracked machine was a bobcat T190 with the ASV/Cat style Mclaren Tracks and it did better when we changed the tracks. Before that we had a Cat 247B and it wasn't that good in the snow either, I also have a New Holland LX665 that is awesome in the snow and Ice, but it has tires.

Most tracked machines will do ok in the snow, but the ice underneath the snow is what gives them trouble with traction.

7. Westernhd

Westernhd Junior Member

It will be used for half and half, I have a tire machine now and it works well in the snow just was curious if the track machine is worth a damn for snow removal. I would like to have one for dirt they grade so much nicer and for land clearing would be nice. What cat machine would be comparable to a S205, I would like to look into one?

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You could always buy a tire machine and buy a pair of the loegering vts track system, can buy used about 5 k

9. Ccl

Ccl Junior Member
    from Mn

Track machines are OK in snow if you are only stacking and going push backs they is nothing better