1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat V518, Any good for plowing????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by A Man, Jun 19, 2008.

1. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone has used or has any experience using a bobcat v 518 for plowing. I would assume they would work well for loading but I am more curious how well they would work for actual plowing. What size of plow do you think it might be able to handle. I may be purchasing one regardless of it's ability to plow snow but I thought it might work well. Let me know your thoughts, thanks guys.

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have heard nothing but good things about them and plowing. Just make sure you purchase the bobcat snow pusher for it. The main reason why the bobcat one floats is because of the versahandler long wheel base and boom. The twisting of a normal snow box as it went over uneven parking lots would twist the boom and crack it right at the end of the carrage. I have seen two different brands of telehandlers with cracked booms from pushing fixed snow pusher over uneven parking lots.
  3. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Thanks itsgottobegreen, I never even considered cracking the boom from the side to side tilt action. You make a very good point. Whatever I put on it will have to accomodate the motion.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I am told that a telehandler will out push a backhoe.

I hope to be able to confirm that this winter....
  5. A Man

A Man Senior Member

I haven't had a chance to go and take a look at one yet, but does anyone know how the four wheel drive system works? Is it possible to lock up the differentials? If it is possible that would make the machine even more attractive. Price seems fairly reasonable.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a JD 3800 telehandler and I see your from Kitchener. It's 3 years old and has less then 300 hours on it. It comes with a 12ft pusher and a 3 yard bucket if your interested. I'm selling it because I bought 2 larger tractors, it's the best used machine you'll ever find and it was always left on site and never road traveled in salt. Also it's been FF since new.http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1177389921056395317HFVhNM http://youtube.com/watch?v=5-OJPuVlaDM&feature=related These will give you an idea of what it's like but there not my pics.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

9. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Haha and we start over in 5 months:dizzy:
  10. A Man

A Man Senior Member

JD, that seems like a great machine, I was actually thinking about one but I figured they'd be hard to find since they are no longer made. I am going to be away next week working up in collingwood but when I get back I'd love to take a look at yours. Might be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help, I'll pm you when I get back in town.
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Gotta love video of people playing with their toys in the snow when it's the middle of summer.