1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat to Cat, Anybody ever switch???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Big Dog D, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at buying a new Bobcat and are currently demoing a CAT 262. I have always been a Bobcat guy(have own(ed) 722,743,773) and was wondering if anybody out there has ever made the switch and if they ever regretted it.
  2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

the pool company I haul for replaced all their bobcats with the cats and has had much better luck(they are extremely abusive to their equipment).
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I do not own either machine but have used both Bobcat and Cat skid steers. The guy that owns the land my shop is on has a Cat and it is a VERY nice machine. Once you get used to the "Cat Controls" you will love them.

cat 228

we have a 228 hi flow the men find the cat controls easy to use. we rented a bobcat once, it was a good little rig but the guys never could get used to the controls

so imho is that the cat rules.
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I've run both a little, more time in a cat since thats what I've got. The Cat is very user friendly with the easy to use controls and good bucket visibility. Servicing it is also very easy and well thought out, even for someone that dislikes the maintenance aspect. But, its a necessary evil and when its easy to due I find I am more likely to do it often.
  6. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Go with whichever dealer gives better support.

When you are on-site, and your machine goes down, how long will it take to get a service truck to you?

Primary reaosn I went with Bobcat. I could hardly get a cat salesman to talk to me. Being a small owner/op , I think he wanted major fleet accounts, and to me, that reflects on the entire dealership, which means service department.

My Bobcat dealer bends over to give me confidence in their support structure.
  7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have had better luck with bobcat aswell. We rented a cat from a dealer once and felt like they had bent me over forwards :/
  8. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

ditto here....same situation, would pick a Cat over a bobcat
  9. Big Dog D

Any long time owners out there that ever switched????
  10. nosinjcted

nosinjcted Junior Member
    from MA

We have 2 bobcats but since I broke my ankle I wish my father would buy a new cat, cause i can't walk after a day in a bobcat. The cat controls are very nice for someone in my condition.
  11. racetra

racetra Junior Member

I have been using Bobcats for many years. I just had a chance to spend some time on a Cat 257. Nice machine. Much smoother than my 863 Tire machine. A way better ride, Mostly due to tracks. I was all ready to sell til I saw the video for the Mclaren Protrac rubber tracks. The 863 is a real work horse and I hate to get rid of it and a new cat is $45K....Mamma's not thrilled with that. If anybody knows anything about these Rubber tracks for skidsteers let me know. If you can afford whatever, defenetly look at the Bobcat with the stick controls. I priced the Bobcat T-190 Loaded to the hilt $50K otd and the Cat 257B Loaded also. It was $45K otd
  12. Big Dog D

Well I took the plunge and made the switch. Ordered it up with most everything including AC now I just gotta figure out what I'm going to do regarding a blower for it.

268 pic.jpg
  13. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

What a beauty. I've been thinking of upgrading my 236. May I ask how much that was?
  14. Big Dog D

44K complete with 80'' bucket, forks, snow bucket, hydraulic bob-tach, beacon light, etc..........
  15. racetra

racetra Junior Member

Nice unit, I relly like my 863. I just ordered a set of Mclaren rubber tracks for it. We'll see how they work.
  16. Big Dog D

Anybody running snowblowers on theirs? What are you using?
  17. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Hey Big Dog, congrats on your 268 with the high lift,that can load a ten wheeler, noticed you bought it from Milton, who was your salesman my old man works for Milton just wondering. I far as the blower goes, We plow Med City in Worc, all the concrete decks get plowed by eight 226's, we have two big blowers for those the work very well but on a big heavy snowfall your production time drops, because your not traveling as fast,but sure does blow that snow clear across the lot. Also noticed the old z-28 badge on your heading late sixties I have a 67 GTO all done up factor original, but with about double the horsepower.
  18. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

hey Big Dog D, im running two S 250 05 Bob Cats high flow, with a Bob Cat 84" blower. I live in Lake Tahoe where we measure snow falls in feet, not inches. the blower really improved my on scene time able to clear 2 feet of snow in the average driveway in about 5 minutes. have thought about tool cat, which is a lot more comfort and moves quicker from job to job, but bobcat says I cant use the bigger blower with it. If money was no object, i probably go with a holder with articulated blowerat about 90 k
  19. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I don't see a beacon on there. Nice machine I run Cat's religiously, but I don't have any skidsteers, the smallest thing I have is a 430D IT Backhoe loader.

20. Big Dog D

It comes right off. It has an external plug and factory switch in the panel inside! I took it off so that it wouldn't get stolen or lost in the off season.