1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat sweeper production times?

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by bullit340, Jan 22, 2006.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Hey guys, I searched for this but no luck. Was just wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark figure of how many sq ft I would be able to sweep per hr with a s185 bobcat and say a 60" bobcat sweeper? I realize this is completely variable depending on amount of sand etc.. The lot has the usual winter sand/salt mix in it, typical hotel. A customer wants it done and I have never done one for enough time to know how productive they are per hr. I would have to rent the sweeper attach any help would be great.
  2. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

I used a 60" bobcat sweeper about a month ago on a lot with normal winter sand on it in this lot and it took close to 2.5 hours. This includes sweeping out the corners and curbs with a broom. The bobcat sweeping attachment does not get close to the curbs or corners very well. I would suggest that you quote them an hourly rate instead of a set price.

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I aggree with dr.lawn hourly would be a good way to go till you get down your times. if you are renting a sweeper look for 1 with a curb broom atchment. Also a power broom for the corners speeds things up a lot.
  4. bluerider

bluerider Junior Member
    from vermont

What would you charge an hour for a bobcat sweeper like that?
  5. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

the curb brooms just get in the way....just powerbroom the corners/curbs/grass areas where the sand is built up and make it accessable to the machine...alot quicker than having that thing hanging off your sweeper...just one more thing to bang/break or worse hit into your truck bed while emptying the bucket.
  6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Your way may work fine for you and your crew. I work alone and have been doing this sence 1982 with good results. I find the bobcat with curb broom and dust control works great. First pass I wet down the ground good and pickup the wet dirt, sand etc. second pass I just uses enough mist to control dust but not wet the sand. This combination is capable of picking up 30 yards of material in an 8 hour shift for the first cleaning of the year I now have a Air Cub vacume which has replaced the second pass and is used for mantaining thi lots. I still work alone. I also use a power broom like you for areas the curb brooms can not reach but that is less then 1% of the curbs I do. Pricing for this type of work range from $100/hr to $250/per hr.
  7. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i see the need when you work alone, but if you have a helper just give him a power broom and have him clean the lawn area and kick out the curblines about 1-2 feet then drive by with the sweeper.

dont you find that wetting the sand leaves a residue that you cant get up/ doesnt look too great untill it rains?

we use no water just 1-2 passes with sweeper on bobcat to pick up the bulk, then 2 guys, one with back pack and one with walkbehind blower blow the lot off.. and when they get too much in a windrow, the sweeper comes by and they continue to blow.

sure it makes a ton of dust, but it looks extremely clean when we finish :waving:
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I don't like the dust so I will keep doing it my way.
  9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

maybe this will help

I sweep around 40 lots and do all of them with a broomster attachment. First thing I can tell you is the fastest way (unless you have used a gutter broom before) is to get a kid with a backpack blower to go in ahead of you and blow curbs. Have them blow out a good 2 ft from the curb. Get the right angle, adjust your cutting edge when needed, and don't go wide open and you'll be fine. I charge $125-$150 per hour. If its a real big place I add and extra $25 an hour on that for an extra guy to blow.