1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat-sidewalks...bucket or v-blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TLG99, Oct 1, 2010.

1. TLG99

TLG99 Senior Member

Hey guys...just bought a bobcat to help with our snow removal operations and some landscape use as well. Looking for some opinions.

Thinking about its use on sidewalks....bucket or v-blade. I have a chance to pick-up a slightly used 60" v-blade for much less than a new one, but still much more expensive than a 48" bucket.

Anyone use a smallish v-blade like this....pros/cons. Keep in mind I can buy the bucket at any time for relatively cheap (compared to the v), but the deal on the v and the chance to finance it (along with new machine) has to be decided asap.

I know how a bucket would perform...but have never used a v-blade on a skid steer (all our trucks have Boss V plows).....any thoughts???

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Plow at the very least. The bucket will only push forward, so you will be constantly turning to the side to dump. Not very effective. I use a straight blade on my tractor and wish it were a v. We had an early storm the year I bought my tractor. It wasn't ready for this snowfall so the dealer provided me with the same sized tractor with a bucket. It worked, but not like a blade. Obviously the tractor doesn't have zero turn or quick attachment capabilities like a skid. You will want to have a bucket, too.

3. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I have both. They have there places. Check out Kage Innovations, I just bought a blade, snow box pusher combo. Might be a little more than what you are spending but it is a nice unit. Cant wait to use it.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I saw something the other day and wish I would have had a camera.

It was a perminent V blade and clipped on to the bucket. I thought it would be awesome becasue it would skip over the sidewalk gaps, and if it was clipped on to a bucket that was a little larger it would even take away some of the berm that was left which you could dump off to the side. Also this way you have both with you at all times.

Basically it looked like a loader pusher mount with a V blade on it that looked like one you would see on an oshkosh.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I guess it depends on how you need them done. With a v blade your going to get roll off on both sides, with a bucket or plow set up you won't have that or at least you would be able to clean it up. But if your just going down the middle and can just leave snow to either side then a v blade would be great.

6. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I'm surprised I have not seen it mentioned...SAFETY!!!! A bucket will catch a lifted edge of a sidewalk expanison joint and plant your face in the door of the cab. A v_plow will slide over the same. We use a v-plow on our bobcat and it works well for walks.

7. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Hey someone is thinking.

A day before my wedding I did the face plant into the winshield using a bucket on a skidsteer rather than a vee or angle blade.

Even after a bit of make up the pictures will forever have a red mark on my forehead.:eek:

8. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

We use an asv on our sidewalks. The bucket is awful. More than one driver has kissed the windshield after hitting a raised lip. We put an angle blade on two years ago and had the same problem. We swithched over to a poly edge on it for last season and it slides right over the cracks. It also cleans awsome. After one season we had zero wear on this thing. We bought the edge from http://cuttingedgepoly.com. In my opinion, this is the only way to go. We put rubber on the far edges so we can rub buildings and not damage. I think I'm going to switch them to poly this year too. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

9. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Thats sounds like a great idea. Any idea who makes it???

10. TLG99

TLG99 Senior Member

Thanks for all the input guys....I am going with the v-blade.

A pic would be great, IF you could find some time.....Thanks again!

11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I think Trackless makes one for their equipment that could be modified.

12. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Here is mine, I had all the same questions as you and this was the best and most cost effective solution.

[​IMG]