1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat S650 VS CAT 252B series 3

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by DCS MN, Aug 13, 2010.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Not to start an old arguement but there are incredible deals on the new CATs but I have never owned one. I have always run Bobcat. My local Bobcat dealer is going to corporate to try and match Cats pricing.

Is there any pros to one or the other. Both have dealership within proximity. Would like to here from people who own them or run them,
    Thanks
    Brad

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I want to know what deals Cat is running. I have been pricing a couple machines and they are not anything spectacular.

I have a bobcat skid steer now and its nothing special. Visibility is not great. I have more CAT support in the area so I prefer cat. I have heard that Bobcat has been having hydrolic issues with their new skid steers. Bobcat sold last year and since then they have been struggling

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I have a S650 with 15 Hrs. on it. I've never used Cat stuff so I can't compare. I can tell you one thing, I love my machine. It's ridiculously strong and comfy to operate. I think most makes with the new bells and whistles are going to be similar. I was partial to Bobcat so I went with that. I think either brand( Bobcat or Cat ) will be great.

4. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Did you buy the S650 new? I'm curious how it compares in price. I have a Case 450 demo right now and it is a powerhouse. I prefer Bobcat but the local dealer isn't the greatest so I'm looking around. The Case 450 I have is around 40k.

5. WIPensFan

Yes it was bought new. Price of course depends on options. Mine was loaded with everything and was in the lower 40's for price with a bucket. Took a pallet of pavers off the truck the other day that Unilock says weighs 3040 lbs. I was happy, never had a Bobcat that could do that before. Case is also popular around here, I'm sure they make a nice machine, I can't get past the color.

6. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I was quoted $32900.00 for the Cat and $37100.00 for the Bobcat. Both fully loaded. And the Bobcat with ACS controls so they were apples to apples. Like I said right now my local Bobcat dealer is going back to the factory to try and get money back to match Cats pricing. The way I look at it either way it is a win-win situation. Its is hard to find a used machine for that price.

7. WIPensFan

Sounds like a great price. What options does each machine have? I doubt Bobcat will come down to much, but it's worth a try.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW, that would not be apples to apples....Now if it had SJC controls then thats comparable. Have you looked on Machinerytrader.com? I have seen many nice used machines in the high 20k - low 30k range. Good luck in your search.

9. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

For options, the bobcat has the SJC (Cat controls, not the other one I stated in previous post, thank you for the correction), and all other available options. The cat has everything but the sway control( I belive its call, standard on bobcat) and speed control (which is standard on bobcat)
    Otherwise sound cab, heat/AC, radio, bobtach, keyless start(bobcat,) radio, aux attachment eletrical control, 2 speed, suspension seat, basically everything but high flow.
    On the used note, most of those machines are not in close to MLPS. You can find them for a good price but do you know who you are buying them from? How they have been treated? Maintance records?
    For the the price of the CAT I don't think a guy could go wrong. Zieglers 2010 rentals are priced higher than this new one.
    What is FWIW????

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Sounds like you have a pretty good deal right there close to home...Good for you. Make sure you post pics if you go through with the purchase. I think you will be happy with either machine. Both are good machines, dealer support may be what you need to make your choice by.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  11. WIPensFan

FWIW:D, mine is high flow but does not have joystick controls, only hands or feet.

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

DCS,

Have you had a chance to demo either, or more importantly both, machines? I'd see which one you're most comfortable with and would suit your needs better. A little time in each should be enough for you to figure out.

When I bought in '07, obviously the series and machines were quite a bit different, but the 252 B was only $500 cheaper than the S250 I ended up with. I'm sure the series 3 (or w/e it's called now) is light years ahead of the older model I tested, so I wouldn't be aprehenisve to pick it over the BC for that price difference. $5K is alot of money for comperable machines.

Good luck with your decision.

13. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Well I went to the Bobcat dealer and ordered the S650.
    I should have it in 5-6 weeks. Only time will tell if I made the right decision but the cab was the deciding factor, Bobcats has more room with better visibility.

14. WIPensFan

Good choice, you'll love it! By the way, they told me 4 weeks and it took just under 3 months!:dizzy: Maybe the factory is caught up now, or I wasn't important enough to get mine in a timely manner, I'm not sure.

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree with Greg on making a good choice....congrats. Cant wait to see pics.

P.S. I assume they came close in pricing?

16. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

$32900.00 plus tax.

Hard to beat that price!!!!:nod:

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Agreed!!!. Good for you...Hopfully it doesnt take 3 months for us to see pics;)

I've ran the new m series bobcat skids/excavators a handfull of times and really like the new cabs. Very comfortable.

18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a great deal IMO. Ithink I paid about $1K less for my 250 3 years ago, & I thought I got a good deal.

A bonus in the purchase is that you'll now be on snocrete's Christmas card list............... :laughing:

19. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Really! Can you give the options included in that price or is it like you said early everything but High Flows.... That seems like a steal! I might have to use that for negotiation at my local dealer of just take a trip up there! The smallest Case I've priced is that same price.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:laughing:....dont know if you'll get a card from me just yet DCS.....but i like you more since you went with BC:laughing: