1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat S250 8' or 10' pusher??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ne1, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I'm in the market for a snow pusher for my Bobcat S250. The question is can it handle a 10' box or should I get an 8'? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I would go 10.

I am running a 10ft bobcat pusher on my S205 with counter weights with good success.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with the ten. You wont be kicking yourself in the middle of winter saying I should have gotten the 10. good luck
  4. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Do the counter weights make that much of a difference? I tried pushing an 8 footer the other day and just spun. It was a heavy wet snow though too. I'm lookin at getting a new snow bucket and i'm trying to decide whether to go with a 7' or 8'.
  5. TownlineEquip

TownlineEquip Junior Member

We generally don't recommend more than 8'. Like the other guy said in a wet heavy drop you can get stopped in your tracks. You still move a ton of snow with 8' Remember how much you're pushing out in front of you. It's not like a snowplow.
  6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the lots your pushing. I've had a 10 on my S250 & pushed it no problem. As long as your at full speed & pushing straight, traction shouldn't be a problem. Note that I don't run the AG tires though, I run industrial, severe dutys. An 8 footer should probably clean up better on a lot that's not as flat.
  7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Thanks for all the input. Now I wait for end of the year sales.
  8. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I push an 8 with my s250. I've got no complaints. You can still push a ton of snow with an 8. I do believe it would have no problems with the 10.
  9. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a 10 foot pusher, my dads friend has one and it works just perfect on his s250.
  10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I spent quite a few hours last year in a S250 with a 10' pusher. On some of the deeper snows when the pusher got full it was quite a load for the machine would bog way down or just break the tires loose. But on smaller storms I could cover ground really fast.
  11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Go 10', you can always take a smaller bite in the wet deep stuff. :rolleyes:

My theory for equipment is buy the piece that will be the most efficient most of the time. Why limit production ALL the time ?

If your average snow is 1-4", with a hand full of 6-12" I would buy the 10'.

If you don't plow with the storm and average 6"+, or encounter heavy drifting ALL the time go with the 8'.

I had a 10' blade on an S250 and if It got real heavy, or it piled up quick, I would just run the snow bucket threw the bad drifts and hog out the bad stuff. I also used one of the trucks a couple times just to break open long runs. Worked great, and on the 20 1"-3" events we had lots done in record time.

Its a Balancing act for sure...
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

if the machine is sitting at 1 location all winter, then go with a 10, cant trailer a 10 down the road, unless the truck pulling is a 10ft flatbed or dump. Like what was said if it gets to deep or heavy, take a smaller bite...a s250 should have no problems with a 10.....I have a 10ft bobcat pusher on a subs s185 w/snow tires, and he dosent have any problems except for the other day when we had 5-6 in of some of the wettest heaviest snow ive pushed....and he just took smaller bites. he has a snow bucket sitting at this location, but didnt feel that it was so bad that he needed it........
  13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

any extra weight on the tires is gonna help with traction...................what kind of machine are you running? are you keeping all 4 tires on the ground? like with pushers, go as big as you can, you can always take smaller bites.
  14. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I've got an S205. What is better, a snow bucket or a containment plow?
  15. salopez

salopez Senior Member

this might be better off in a new thread.

there are many variables...just as what type of plowing you are doing?
    personally i like pushers for more com. work, but also use snow buckets, blowers, plows, and ice scrapers.
  16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree....is this your only piece of snow removal equipment? if so, I would recommend getting something that is non hydraulic, pusher or snow bucket(less things to go wrong)...... but a pusher would be my choice....you at least have the standard bucket still if you need a bucket.... .........bobcat is offering 0% / 42months on attachments right now, something to think about.
  17. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Sorry....didn't mean to hijack the thread. I've got 6 plows trucks.
  18. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

I would go with 10 it should be easy to push with a s250
  19. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i've got a couple of those bob cat's and i run 10' and even 12' no problem but i run counter wieght's on the 12' pusher