1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat S185

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PrecisionS&I, Oct 11, 2012.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Looking for input on a Bobcat S185 single speed skid steer. I found one for a good price with cab and heat, low hours and a trailer. Only downfall I can see is that its single speed. (I can live with for now.)
    My question will this machine handle a 9' Boss straight blade trip edge with wings?
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It will handle light snow, but anything moderate to heavy won't fly. If your using it for snow, get a 2-speed. Nobody wants single speed anymore. The 2-speed allows you to get momentum going and enough speed to throw the snow to the side or roll it forward. I have a 2-speed for sale, don't know what you want to spend.

Even with 2-speed the 9'er with wings is to big IMO.
  3. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

2 speed will be important when you sell same unit down the line.
    Personally I wouldn't buy a single speed machine.
    Did you know a toolcat hits 19 mph.
    A 2 spd is fast compared to a one speed, and a toolcat is 50% faster than a 2 speed.
    Careful Grasshopper
  4. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We have used a S185 for years at a hospital complex. No issues. Used a 10' custom built box plow and a 10' Daniels wing plow on the machine. As stated not fast but very reliable and you should have no issues.
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I own a s185 its 2008 2spd with 400hrs & in my opinon I would not put anything over an 8' on it, especialy without a 2 speed. Yes in some snowfalls(light,fluffy & under 2") it would handle & move a 9' but if snow is wet & heavy or deep it will not preform as good as you'd like.
    I'd buy a snow attachment that it as versitle as I can get, meaning get a blade you will use most of the time, not just part of the time. Yes resale will not be great on a 1 speed but if it good price I'd say buy it & get an 8' blade.
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Get 2speed. I've owned a couple 185's(single speed), and they were great machines...but I always wished I had 2speed.

We've been running dedicated snow tires (or tracks) on machines for a while now, and never had any problems putting a 10ft Bobcat pusher on a S185 or T190. With that said, get 2speed and dedicated snow tires and you will be fine with the 9ft plow with wings. On heavier snows, take smaller bites.