1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Jan 25, 2002.

1. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Sorry about the wrong forum post but I know this will get a faster response here.

I'm going to be looking at a Bobcat 873 and I need some comments on this type (size) of machine. The details are 96' 873 with 1450 hrs, heated cab, standard bucket and from what the owner said, new tires. The owner said he has six of these Bobcats for his landscaping company and since this is the oldest he's looking to start replacing them. He has his own mechanic for maint. and repairs and said no serious repairs have had to be made. He's asking 16,000. My question is does anybody have any experience with this machine, and what size pusher box or plow can this machine handle?

If anyone has ANY advice to give in terms of what to look for with this machine please post. Thanks, JD.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2002
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD I would check out the drive system like the chains.What I would do is call up bobcat of boston and see what they say to look for.Does it have alot of hours?And 873 looks like a great machine for just about every thing even to load sand into a vbox.

3. JD PLOWER

Cat it has 1450 hrs. I don't think that is unusual for a 5-6 year old machine or is it? Bobcat of Boston sells their own used equipment so I'm not sure how helpful they would be, but that might just be the skeptical Bostonian in me ;) .
    I 've seen these machines load some tenwheelers so I think a V-box would be easy work :cool: .

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That sounds real good for hours JD ,Your right about calling them but never hurts to ask or even just drop by becuase you would have to buy parts from them anyway if you need them.That machine must of been around $30K or so I would think.If you need a trailer for it call up felling trails they are the sister to the tomaster and maby a little cheaper to.

5. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

The 873 should be able to handle an 8' pusher. If I remember correctly the 873 is about the same size as my NH LS180 and that handle an 8' no problem. I could even step up to a 10' but with heavy wet snow can be a handful. 1450 hours is not a lot for that machine just as long as it was serviced regularly. The main problem I have seen with used SSL is loose bushings in the boom due to lack of greasing. I agree with Cat on the drive chains. Also check all the hoses and for leaks. $16k sounds a little high unless its really clean.

John

6. Lockman

Lockman Junior Member

I agree with TURFPLUS price seems a bit high . I'd hit some of the bobcat dealer websites you will find plenty of 8 series listed . If your serious about this unit I wold consider having A bobcat mobile service me chanic check it out they usually charge by the hour with a one hour minimum. If the seller balks at this i'd be leery . One nice thing about this one is the heated cab. most of the bigger units don't seem to be set up with enclosed cab.

7. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

JD, I think the price is a bit high also.

I have an '99 873(identical to what your looking at) and '00 763. Paid $17k for the '99 873 with only 300hrs and $16k for the '00 763 with only 200 hrs.

The Kubota engines are good for about 4000-5000 hrs. before you start needed to do some major work. So 1450 is not to bad.

I agree, have your local dealer check it out. May cost you a $100 or so, but better than getting stuck. I actually "rented" both of the ones I bought before I made the decision.

Greg

8. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

We use the 873 at work. It has an enclosed heated cab and an option for highflow output.

New last year, it went for $29,000 with forks, a small bucket and a large bucket.

We also rent additional 873's for snow. We do not have a pusher or plow for one. We use them to load salt and move piles after big storms. Next year we would like to get a pusher for a new site that has a huge parking lot.

9. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

As far as the "what size pusher can it handle?" question goes, the Pro Tech website shows the 863 being able to handle their 10'. I would assume an 873 is stronger so I'm sure it could handle that. They also list a 12' skid steer model if you have an "HD" skid with 80 -90 HP at least, but you have to call them with your particular model to see if it will work.

10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Will handle pusher from 8'-12'.
    Might spin a little with 12' of heavy, wet snow, but you can always take a smaller bite.

$12,000 would be a great deal
    $14,000 would be fair.
    $16,000 would be the high end retail price.

11. JD PLOWER

BOBCAT UPDATE!

Went and looked at it about an hour ago. It actually has 1550hrs. It really was'nt that much to look at (has been used to load trucks like tenwheelers this season) and it needs a good cleaning. Dug up a little of this guys shop area (his idea) and it seems like a tight machine. No knocks in the pins or anywhere else. Some new hydro lines and tires and rims. The only thing that bothered me was the general apperance, some rubber gromets around the lights and the front of the cab area are missing or need replacing. The engine seemed tight and reasonably clean but it does need belts and fluid changes. No leaks that are obvious, although I did forget the flashlight :mad: . This is a large operation (he has 118 employees according to him) and his mechanic was there to tell me about the service history. This might be good or bad, lots of employees might mean that some knuckle head could be driving this machine but it also could mean that with a total of 9 skids (this being the largest) none of the machines get overworked ?
    I asked if I could get a mechanic to look at it (from the local bobcat store) he said fine, then he proceeded to rattle off the service mangers name and the shop owners name and how he buys all his bobcats from them. I'm not sure how much of an "unbiased opinion" I could get from their service department.

The bottom line, I said 14, he said 15. I told him to clean it up change the fluids and I'll come back on Monday and we'll talk. My plan is to go to 14.500. I 'm not going higher so I might just walk on this :confused: if I have too.

BTW does anybody know what tires and rims for a machine of this size go for?

Almost fogot, thanks a bunch for the responses.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2002
  12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Check out the reconditioned ones from Northern Tool, I have bought some of them, and Have had great luck with them.

Geoff

13. JD PLOWER

Just found a photo of the Bobcat that I'm looking at. It seems comparable to the one's advertisied at the local Bobcat dealer. They have a couple of 863's and a couple of 853's but they have considerably more hours on them then this one does (2k-3500k).

[​IMG]

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

JD looks pretty good from the pic.

15. SCL

SCL Senior Member

At 1550 hours it shouldn,t be hurt, even if driven by knuckleheads. Bobcat builds their machines for 5000 hours usage. Sounds like they're up to speed on service. If you can get this for $14 to $15K I think you'll do al right. Bobcat makes touch up paint and you can buy the stickers fairly reasonable to dolly it up.

16. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Just a thought. I just got a notice in the mail. Local Bobcat dealer has new 773G on sale. Deluxe cab and a 68 inch bucket for $17,900.

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

bobcat has some kind of promtion going on get a cabwith a/c and dirt bucket or 0.0% financing I think on new machines.

18. mikeslawncare

mikeslawncare Junior Member

We just bought a 1999 773F with 440hrs. and 74gp bucket for $12,000. Machine is in great shape.

19. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Man that seems like a real reasonable deal on the new Bobcat.

What size and horsepower is that machine?

20. mikeslawncare

mikeslawncare Junior Member