1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bobcat pusher size/HP ? need advice 4 contract (PICTURE of lot)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Workaholic, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I just got the a contract for a higher class hotel, also the busiest in the area, there are no big open spaces as you can see in the attached pic. this will be long-term as its a family member that is the head honcho. I took the contract under the condition i would have a skidsteer there to push throughout the storm. The skid steer operator is basically to stay there until each and every car moves and clean its space. Im getting much more then the average contract because of there strick needs. He has went through 2 companies a year for a long time and wants something other than trucks (not manuevrable enough for clearing needs.

Looking into Bobcat 763 w/8ft pusher
    Nice small machine but will it push an 8'er? wont be much long distance pushes.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about the Bob cat,but I could plow that place with a Mack truck. A pickup and v plow would work good there.
  3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

If it's long term, I think a 6-8 ton articulated loader with a 3 yard snow bucket 7.5 to 8 ft wide and a 12 foot pusher would be great set up. Better visibility than a skid steer for both the operator and patrons coming and going (safer). A bigger pusher will clear the isles faster and the snow bucket is easier to back drag with, fits easily into vacant parking spaces and you can scoop and carry the snow as opposed to pushing it up against the plantings (efficient).

That's what I would look into if the ROI looks good, if the contract is by the hour, the original plan is not to shabby. You have about 6 months to ponder the options.:D
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

763 should easily handle a 8' pusher

If you really want to keep them happy you may need 2

Maybe put a Blizzard style plow on the second one to get a better scrape
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Bajak has great advice. On those back lots where the cars won't be as dense you will appreciate being able to push 12' at a time. Same thing can be said for when you're running down the isles.

From the looks of that picture you are going to need a few hundred stakes :dizzy:
  6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

if its snowing bad enough those cars arent going to be moving so that bobcat is gonna be sitting and waiting for quite a while or am i misunderstanding what your saying :confused: i would get a crew of shovelers/snowblowers to clean out around the cars that dont move then use a v-plow to move it to the piles:drinkup:
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If it were me, and it isn't, I would go big bobcat 300 maybe. You will be happy with extra weight and power. It can still fit in between cars with an 8' pusher. You could have an additional 12' pusher to work with as well. Sounds like your going to make good money on this so be over prepared.
  8. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I am leaning towards the idea of a bigger bobcat. However a 300 is out of my price range as it will get minimal use during summer. I am strickly turf / property maintenance and snow. It will do a few large quantity mulch installs, some gravel moving and work around the yard, and the occasional side job.

How about an 873? A friend of mine has one and ive got alot of hours in it. I think it would be a good bang for my buck and its about 80 hp with the verticle lift and a decent size. Would maybe go with the 873, 10ft pusher, large snow bucket for parking spaces and stacking.

Total investment of about $16,000 CDN

At the price of the 873's (good used) I could even get another one or two in the future for my grouping of factories and a plaza i may get soon. (compared to the price of one 300)

What you guys think of these machines for snow pushing?
  9. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We used an 873 for a number of years. Excellent machine - plenty of power especially for an eight foot pusher. Ground speed and resultant plowing speed a bit slow.

Herm Witte
  10. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

Something like a 8' to 10' push/pull box would be idea if you ask me. As far as the 873 deal the price doesn't seem to bad but what sort of hours does the machine have and what sort of use? Does it have a cab and heat? We just bought new skid steers for about $24k a pop (USD), loaded, the dealers are hurting now and its defiantly worth your time to shop around and see what they have to say.
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

873 would be a good machine.
  12. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

The 873 was available with a 2 spd, my '01 has it. A smaller backdrag Protech sno pusher will work better when cleaning between parked cars, a bucket for stacking and a big pusher for the easy stuff and your all set. A pick up with a blade to help wouldn't hurt.
    There is a lot of fancier and more expensive ways to do it but this will get you started.
    I'm sure you realize that your bobcat guy will be sleeping waiting for cars to move. :nod:
  13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

possibly consider renting for the season and buy a protech back drag box or blizzard skid steer plow

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

a co i sub for rents a skidsteer for the winter. cheaper than having a payment for 12 months
    and no maint.

15. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

S185 skidders? or what did you get? 2 speed?
  16. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Weird, up here winter rental is almost the same as 12 payments. At least at the end of the day you own the equipment. Check it out carefully.
  17. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I agree, I believe small skids about 2g a month x minimum 4 maybe 5 months.

I lucked out this winter and rented an old case 580 alllll winter for a grand. I new the guy and he just wanted to help out. plus on of his fams sub for me.

But yah for 8 grand a yr plus attachments ill probly buy a used one. cash. thats if things go as good as there lookin this summer.
  18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Here they are about $600/month for 4 months
  19. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

For that I wouldn't even consider buying. How many hours allowed?
  20. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I agree, if i could rent for that i could sign enough contracts by the end of the week to keep 10-15 skids busy all winter.

I just priced a 300 here fore winter and its $2600/mth