1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat plow driving me nuts

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Italiano67, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am using a 873 Bobcat with a Bobcat brand 8 ft straight blade. It is eating cutting edges like nobodies business. I installed a new 3/4 inch cutting edge before the season and it is almost shot already. Yes it is the real deal edge with the beveled edge. I don't know how to correct this. The operator is not lifting the front tires and I am not sure if the angle of the blade is the problem. How can you tell by just looking? The pins etc. are tight on the pivot point. It seems like no matter what we do the edge just melts off.

2. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

Sounds like too much down pressure, even if the front tires do not lose contact with the plowing surface.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

He plowing in float mode?

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am not sure on the float mode. I just figured if you drop it on the ground lightly and go it would be fine.

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I thought the Bobcat blade took a 1/2" thick blade. How tall is the edge? I think mine is equipped with a 6" edge (1/2" x 6" x 96"). My next question is what part of the blade is wearing out? What I mean by that is are you experiencing the most wear at the ends or is it even across the board? What type of plowing are you doing (i.e. gravel or pavement, roads or lots)?
    One thing that I have noticed, and do not like, about my 8' straight Bobcat angle plow, is that it does not have any oscillation. I think that the newer ones have it but I bought mine back in '06 and it does not. This makes it very hard to have everything just right so that the whole blade stays in contact when angling. If you are experiencing heavy wear at the ends I would suggest that this your problem, or it is, at least, a major contributing factor.

6. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

Float mode on the Bobcat plow works the same as float mode on a truck plow. It allows the plow to follow the contours of the surface. Make sure the operator is using it.

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

IMHO the skid steer has a very short wheelbase (unlike a truck) and, when in float mode, has a tendency to lift the front wheels when the plow meets resistance. Based on my experience, I would not recommend plowing in float mode. I also rarely use the float mode on my truck plow either (yet I'm more than willing to say that this is why there is a float feature on a truck plow) but I have a chain hoist system on my truck plows. This, by way of design, allows a certain amount of contour following. Hopefully not coming across as argumentative. Not my intent.

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

X2, my 650 picks up the front wheels if it put it in float with the pusher on.

9. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The blade did come with a flimsy cutting edge. I replaced it with a 3/4 inch edge to see if it would last longer. The whole edge is wearing, not just the ends. It is plowing a asphalt lot in fairly good shape. I guess i will try the float mode.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Just a thought but tire pressure to low or high?

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

How is that possible? I thought the whole point of float is to let the loader arms move up and down with the contour of the ground

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Uh oh................here we go again.

Bingo.

Float does not work on skidsteers or loaders for plow. Too much resistance from the plow and pavement causes the oil to come oot of the cylinders and results in the front tyres lifting.

Pretty sure we've discussed this a couple hundred times. The result is always the same.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Sorry to take this a different direction, but I am having trouble getting past this... do don't float your plow on your truck??? Please explain

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Not familar with SS stuff. But I will say this. The high carbon steel edges of yesteryear are much better than the ones today. I had a cutting edge on my diamond plow for over 10 years, (got it in maybe 04, maybe older than that). Anyway I got a new cutting edge last year and already starting to wear pretty fast compared to what I had. I do suggest hardfacing the cutting edge where it hit the pavement, albeit hardfacing rod is not cheap but you can build up with regualr rod (7018) and then to the last pass with the hardfacing rod (stoody or whomever). I will be doing this with my edge after this season.

15. 1olddogtwo

I agree, I was just asking.

Float is a no-no and comparing machine to truck is apples to oranges.

16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Or to fix all the problems, get a plow with a floating hitch like a boss bx or metal plessis... You'll never look back

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Whew, I'd hate to disagree with you on something.

18. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I cant be the only one that has this problem. So if float mode doesn't work on fixing the edge wear I am out of luck and should buy a different plow? Seems ridiciluous a plow designed for a skidsteer should have this issue.

19. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Less down pressure. A real operator should extend the life by a long time.

20. 1olddogtwo

Is it a direct mount/lift? Does it have any type of pivot on the quick plate?

Perhaps doubling the cutting edge will help?